How did you keep freelance clients when on maternity leave?

(7 Posts)
MushroomTree Wed 31-Aug-16 19:33:45

Just that really, I'm a freelance copywriter but also employed part time. I'll be using my part time job for maternity leave purposes but also obviously be taking a break from freelancing.

My question is, how do I keep my clients? They'll need someone to do my job whilst I'm away but how do I ensure the work comes back to me?

swisschocolate Wed 31-Aug-16 22:42:14

Why obviously?

Just keep on working freelance or you will risk losing your customers.

Most freelancers I know didn't take maternity. You are not an employee. what provision have you put in place? Do you have insurance?

SanityClause Wed 31-Aug-16 22:57:28

You either continue to work for them, as best you can, or build up a business again, once you are back to work.

I can count the total number of days of maternity leave that I had with three children on my fingers.

swisschocolate Thu 01-Sep-16 07:58:28

You need to be clear under what terms you work for these clients and what the contract that you have says.

For example:

If it says that you have the right of subsitution then you can employ someone else and send them on your behalf. The person works for you, not the client. Or it may say that you can send someone else who is also self employed. In either of these cases the contract may state that the contract is terminated if the client was not happy with the substitution.

Or the contract may say that you must provide a substitution. If you don't then the contract would end. They could possibly claim financially for losses from you if you are unable to do this.

On what basis do you work for these clients and what does the contract say?

In reality if you want to keep them as clients then you probably need to keep working and not have any time off.

This is why freelancers earn more- you have more risks and less rights. If you work through a limited company what does your maternity policy say?

LyraMortalia Thu 01-Sep-16 08:00:30

Another freelancer here and yes just keep working or save up and pay yourself maternity pay iykwim then rebuild your business.

HughLauriesStubble Thu 01-Sep-16 12:15:09

I'm a pregnant freelancer and I also intend to keep working, otherwise I will lose my customers. I may scale it back a bit and only keep my most valuable clients but I won't be able to afford to stop completely.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 01-Sep-16 13:03:09

I will go against the grain and say I took 9 months off. However, I had a contract to come back to, as the client got cover.

I would agree you either carry on or take time off and build up again.

I had a shit mat leave with PND. So I am glad I wasn't working tbh.

If you already have some income from yr pt job, you might be able to build back up the freelance stuff less frantically than if freelance was your only income.... But depends on your finances.

There was a recent thread on here about what to tell clients.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now