RSA Fellowship

(6 Posts)
gottogetdressed Tue 31-May-16 15:00:14

Is/was anyone a Fellow of the RSA? How did/do you find it? Worthwhile?

I got an email today inviting me to become a Fellow (apparently due to my "exceptional contribution" to the sector I work in - but probably more likely because someone I know nominated me (no idea who).

It's not throwaway money to join and not sure of the value - so any experiences/thoughts appreciated!

getlostdailyfail Tue 14-Jun-16 13:24:45

Hi!

What did you decide in the end? I got an invite too, and wondering whether its worth the registration fee? I'm an early career researcher so I really wasn't expecting it!

gottogetdressed Tue 14-Jun-16 13:39:04

I still haven't decided!!! It's just sitting there in my inbox, lurking, teasing me....

I found an interesting article/discussion on LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/should-i-re-join-rsa-oliver-benson) which basically said - joining is not really (just) about the benefits, but also about supporting what the RSA is/is about - more like a donation to keep it alive?

But then I am not really sure I know what that is.

Sorry - not much help am I?

getlostdailyfail Tue 14-Jun-16 13:49:08

gottogetdressed, I'm not sure either!

I've just realized having clicked the fast trick link that you pay a £75 registration fee before you are accepted (so when you apply). It could be that many people wont get accepted (like me I suspect!), but have wasted £75? Doesn't sound right though, does it? Especially not from RSA?

gottogetdressed Tue 14-Jun-16 14:17:57

From what I understand if you are invited, you are basically going to get accepted - I think that you only couldn't be accepted if you applied without the invite. Bit cheeky of them if you have to pay £75 first - but I guess it puts off everyone just applying?

bookgirl1982 Thu 16-Jun-16 16:52:13

Pretty much anyone will get accepted, they are keen to get numbers up. The best way to think about it is as a charitable donation which gives some benefits if you want them. The London house is lovely and has a good meeting room at reasonable rates for fellows.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now