How hard/succesful is running an online shop?

(4 Posts)
MrsSpecter Mon 30-May-16 19:47:11

I 'play' at selling baby gift baskets. Meaning that i do it as and when i feel like it and nowhere near enough to even call it part time work. (I do have a proper job too) Circumstances have changed, i now have lots more storage space and a work space and lots more free time to commit to it. I want to veer away from baby gift baskets really and look into selling vegan and organic baby items. Bedding, clothing, toys, nappies, wraps/slings etc. Having spent a lot of time online i can see that lots of people are doing the same and as i have no craft ability i wonder if i would be wasting my time even trying as others have already got established and possibly make their own things. Would there be any profit in it at all?

BeatricePotter Mon 30-May-16 23:07:00

How long is a piece of string?

You need to research:-
What you are going to sell
What price you can buy at
What price you are going to sell at
Your costs in terms of developing a website, marketing, etc.

EssCee Fri 03-Jun-16 00:02:52

I agree, it is most certainly 'how long is a piece of string?'.

I think if you can find a niche that is being under-served in some way, you can make a nice living. However, I know of many online shops that have fallen by the wayside.

If you're serious about it, put together a business plan (with figures). Only once you know what possible sales there could potentially be, what the overheads and costs are, margins etc. can you know if there's any profit to be made. In other words, do research!

This is a good website to check out:

mywifequitherjob.com/

And these for the podcasts:

www.ecommerceinfluence.com/

MrsSpecter Fri 03-Jun-16 00:12:40

Thank you both. Yes lots of research and calculations to be done. Thanks for the links esscee

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now