Any freelance trust fundraisers out there?

(8 Posts)
Gretaisbetter Tue 17-May-16 23:27:44

I'm an experienced trust fundraiser, and have been wondering for a while about going freelance.

Are any of you, or have you been, a freelance trust fundraiser? I have so many questions! How do you get work (especially outside of London - I'm not in the capital)? How much do you charge and for what types of work? Is there even work out there? Insurance? Would it work doing it part-time? Are charities more forthcoming with project information when they're paying you by the day?! <hopeful>

I enjoy all aspects of trust fundraising - strategy, research, forecasting, writing compelling bids, report-writing, general stewardship and so on - and am good at it. I've brought in small grants and raised six-figure sums. But in my current role, there's nowhere to go from here - no scope for progressing.

I feel stuck and want to broaden and enrich my career. I'd like to have a go at fundraising for some different causes. And I'd like more flexibility with juggling work around my children, especially when they're sick or it's the school holidays. (Freedom from truly exhausting office politics, low team morale, constantly shifting agendas and unproductive meetings would be good too! grin)

But I could be romanticising here. We absolutely depend on my income - which is very good in the context of the profession and my location - and so it would be a risk to go it alone. But trust fundraising jobs are rare where I live, outside the capital, so simply finding another job isn't much of an option either.

My main concerns are: would there be enough work and can I earn enough (I need at least £1,200 net a month); is freelancing really as flexible as it sounds; and would I knuckle down and not get distracted at home?

Please come and chat to me (on here or off-board) so I'm not just going round in circles talking to myself about this, while doing nothing to change the status quo! Thanks.

Gretaisbetter Wed 18-May-16 21:41:15

Anyone? Shamelessly bumping ...

gottogetdressed Thu 19-May-16 09:37:38

I've PM'd you!

luellabelle Fri 27-May-16 00:34:21

I work with trust fundraisers and I would say that as statutory funding drops trust fundraisers are becoming more in demand. If you've experience of Big lottery, Children in Need, comic relief and other big funds you should be in demand. My fundraisers charge £300 - £350 a day with a few of the really outstanding ones getting £400 a day.

poocatcherchampion Tue 28-Jun-16 17:49:32

I'm looking at doing this freelance too. How are you getting on op?

kenettleton Wed 06-Jul-16 12:00:55

I am, please email me at katynettleton@htomail.co.uk and I may be able to help

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 06-Jul-16 14:41:08

Sorry OP I still haven't replied to your PM message. I think there is enough of a gap.

The key is finding the right sort of client that a) doesn't want to pay on results hmm and b) understand fundraising enough to ensure you get all the info and support you need to produce a good bid.

For anyone reading this there is a good Facebook Group 'Fundraising Chat' which is a mix of in-house & freelancers. Occasionally there are opportunities posted on there. You need to explain your connection to the sector if it isn't obvious from your profile when you request to join. You cannot post direct 'adverts' for your services but you can respond to requests for info about freelancers.

www.facebook.com/groups/1686147658271694/

gottogetdressed Wed 06-Jul-16 16:58:48

Thank Margo - interestingly I heard about that Facebook group at the IoF Convention today too!

I have to ask - I have never (yet) had a client who is looking at payment by results, is this really something you still find happens?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now