Small businesses... Input needed!

(10 Posts)
sugarplumfairy01 Sun 17-Apr-16 17:34:20

Hi All,

My fiance is setting up his business as a software developer. He's trying to think about wording for his description and also what people would search for to ensure it sounds professional but also so none techy people can find him!

If you were looking for a tech person to help you create / develop a system for your business what would you search for?

I'm trying not to put words into your mouths by explainig what does too much if that makes sense!

Thanks xx

DameDancealot Mon 18-Apr-16 12:55:44

Prob web designer or web technician

GooseberryRoolz Mon 18-Apr-16 16:54:28

Probably I'd think more in terms of the service I needed than the person. So (I am really not a tech person) maybe; software design service, ict systems design for SMEs - something like that?

GooseberryRoolz Mon 18-Apr-16 16:59:43

Or for my type of business. So; "systems development for retail/e-commerce/web agency/small manufacturer" or similar.

ICT systems, software solutions etc are all the same in my head blushAs are tech designers, developers, consultants blushblushblush

sugarplumfairy01 Mon 18-Apr-16 17:08:28

Thanks everyone! All very helpful so far. ☺ x

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Mon 18-Apr-16 17:12:51

It depends who he's offering his services too. He'll need to say something different if he's offering bespoke software direct to small business owners/individuals or if he is going to be a contractor for agencies etc.

Take a look at sites like weworkremotely.com which hires contractors to see what they are looking for, that will help your fiance to find the right angle to make sure the right people find him.

You can also look at Google Trends to see related search terms and their popularity to get an idea for what people want

HildurOdegard Mon 18-Apr-16 17:36:36

As all business owners, he needs to niche - i.e., what is his speciality ?

I come from a SW background, I can code in approx. half a dozen languages over a specific type of system.

This does not mean that I can pick up any job and do it well.

Someone with python and java for websites is unlikely to be asked to write a bespoke military application in a safety-critical structured language.

He knows what he does - so work with him to get out of him what he wants to do and for whom.

DameDancelot I'm wincing at your response. I did not get a degree in engineering to be called a "web developer".

sugarplumfairy01 Mon 18-Apr-16 18:07:33

Thanks, really helpful info!

My fiance is the same, got his degree and is just trying to find a way to explain the difference of what he does to people that refer to a Web developer for most things. (i used to do the same but he kept telling me off!)

DameDancealot Mon 18-Apr-16 19:30:58

Sorry hildur didn't mean to make you wince thought I was being helpful to the OP.

I am probably better sticking to lurking.

HildurOdegard Mon 18-Apr-16 19:53:26

grin It's OK. But in professional terms it's a bit like having the leading show at graduation at the London College of Fashion and being told you might cut it putting clothes on rails at Asda. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now