Any Graphic Designers out there please? Any help appreciated, feeling a little rusty!

(9 Posts)
mrskitty15 Sun 17-Apr-16 12:15:58

Hello,

After some time away from Graphic Design in other industries I am now setting up to start up as self employed from home and I am feeling a bit rusty so to speak.

I just wondered if anyone on here would be kind enough to point me in the direction of any good websites or resources to help refresh my knowledge and advise on the best sites for purchasing fonts or any which also offer them free for commercial use, also the same for stock imagery too. I want to stay within the law whilst still being able to earn so cost (without compromising on quality) is important.

Thank you in advance from a nervous stay at home mum taking the big step into the self employed world of work! smile

CauliflowerBalti Wed 20-Apr-16 11:00:27

Check out www.dafont.com for fonts.

istockphoto.com still wins for cheap royalty free photography.

In terms of refreshing your knowledge... I don't know. I'd say look at design blogs. Creative Bloq is a good resource anyway and I just found this article: www.creativebloq.com/inspiration/best-tumblr-blogs-for-designers-1233429

Good luck!

mrskitty15 Wed 20-Apr-16 12:12:39

Thank you smile

sportinguista Fri 22-Apr-16 14:29:42

It's a good idea to sign up for some freelancing websites, Millo is good and the Freelancer, they are American but they have some great tips on stuff like difficult clients, chasing payment and staying sane generally, they also have good articles on freelancing and balancing family life and organising.

I use 123RF and sometimes istock.

Clients from Hell is good for a laugh and for some good podcasts and articles about freelancing.

Lynda.com is great for refreshing skills. If you want to go into web, codeacademy, treehouse and WC3 schools are great.

HMRC for the all important tax return and don't do as I did the first time and leave it till the last moment Argh!

PPH for picking up clients to fill gaps.

Behance and upwork as well.

Good luck! smile

mrskitty15 Fri 22-Apr-16 23:06:26

Thank you, will check all of those out! smile

sportinguista Sat 23-Apr-16 07:45:44

Happy to help, enjoy your new career, it's hard work but it's fun!

Fontella Sun 24-Apr-16 10:53:02

Hi there,

I'm a self-employed graphic designer and have been since big son was born over two decades ago! If you want to pm me anytime, feel free to do so.

Elliethinks Fri 13-May-16 12:33:20

I am too - freelance! Finding it hard to put myself out there at the moment. How do you lot sell yourselves? Do you have a website, do you say you are freelance or give the impression of a company? I am changing my company name - as I hate it and want to start a fresh with a new name and website and struggling to know where to start.

sportinguista Sun 05-Jun-16 09:03:37

I have a website and use several freelancing sites to get work. I also attend networking events and get refererrals from existing clients and work with print suppliers who occaisionally need to buy in services. I also use social media to market myself. It is hard work to do all that though so you might just start off with one channel initially and build up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now