Does anyone make money by crafting from home?

(8 Posts)
Craftycah Thu 31-Mar-16 08:34:03

I've decided not to go back to work full time after recently havong my second baby so am in search of things I can do from home to bring in an extra bit of cash. I've always been quite crafty and am good at making things myself but am at a loss as to what would sell best. I can make button art on canvas (nice for kid's bedroom), fabric covered monograms, wooden plaques and things like that. I am into photography and could make some framed prints, but I am not sure how well these would sell. I can also do papercutting but find this very time consuming. I have a good idea for making niche jewellery and would love to give it a go, it would be great because in most cases, I could make the items before selling, as opposed to having to make them to order. The market seems to be flooded with jewellery though and as different as mine would be, I would be afraid of them getting lost amongst the cheaper stuff that sells on ebay. I want to avoid the 'glittery shit' type stuff at all costs! Would love any advice thanks grin

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sun 03-Apr-16 20:05:40

Set an hourly rate in your head - what's the minimum amount you'd need to make.

Make one of your proposed items from the beginning to the end and time yourself quite strictly. Multiply that by the time it took to make it at your hourly rate. Add your costs - materials, power, however you'll sell it.

This will then give you a decent estimate of the cost per item. Then add a % profit and do some market research - is what you have sellable at the price you've set? Of course you can adjust the % profit up and down a bit.

This will give you a true idea if what you want to sell is business-worthy. Of course, you can not cost your time properly and sell to cover your costs only - that's fine if you want to make some money out of a hobby, which is no bad thing. But to actually make it into a business-business you have to see your time as something worth covering, IMO.

ClashCityRocker Sun 03-Apr-16 20:14:38

Be wary of buying too much stock.

I've seen this happen with friends - they start selling home-made, there is the initial rush of friends and family buying things, friend thinks 'great, this is a viable business' and then friends and family have already bought whatever and it tapers off - and they've bought a load of stuff. Most people I know say they've actually lost money buying in stuff they can't sell.

And yes, good advice from Lonny. If you're selling something for £5 more than materials cost, but it takes two hours to make, you are earning £2.50 an hour before tax.

Buddahbelly Mon 04-Apr-16 14:38:45

I've been doing this for a while, its sounds fabulous at first, staying at home working for yourself but Ii can promise you its not at all as easy as that, you will be working longer hours that in a 9-5 job.

The making the items is the easy bit, but then comes everything else, you are your own boss, accountant, social media expert, receptionist, admin person, stock taker, the list goes on.... even when you've finished doing your work, you then have to promote it constantly otherwise its just something that will sit on the table. promotion comes through social media/ getting stock into shops etc.

Im now in my second year of business, my hours vary from 9 till 5, stop for tea then continue 7-10 once ds is in bed, I work most weekends too completing orders and designing new stuff. I sew, so its very time consuming to finish 1 piece but that's why the customers will pay what they do as they can value my time, took me a long while to realise that the old saying "time is money" is so true.

If your doing it as a hobby, you don't really need the money and its just a little bit extra then yeah id say give it a go (personally think papercuts are a lot better than those button pictures that are everywhere), but if your looking for a regular income then perhaps go part time somewhere and see it as more of a hobby with a view to building it up.

teamyaahbaby Sat 23-Apr-16 22:52:58

I agree with budhabelly, it is hard work, I have been self employed since 2007 and its only taken dedication and constantly learning new trends that are the reasons why I am still going.
Its tough but fulfilling if it is naturally your calling. There are many online market places you can list your craft. I sell very well on an american craft market place and funny enough 99% of all my sales are from American based buyers. So it all depends on your marketing and where you choose to sell.

Good luck and learn read and ask questions. There is a wealth of resources online.

fabulousathome Tue 26-Apr-16 14:15:18

I look at it another way.

I teach a craft from home and run two 2 hour classes per week. I use my big dining table and can take up to nine people. It took time to get going but I after initial set up costs it makes about 66% on my costs. I usually get a full or nearly full class.

I registered as self employed so can claim expenses (materials) incl coffee and biscuits. I provide almost all materials in the price (plus drink and biscuits) and tools, plus instruction. I added to my insurance policy so they know I am teaching from home just in case an accident occurs.

I get new students by word of mouth, except that I advertised just once, on a supermarket's free noticeboard.

I run on a pay as you go basis so students only pay when they come (although they text if they are not going to be coming). This keeps them coming back e.g. after a holiday or if their child is ill.

I get all their craft stuff out and clear away for them after. These are things that I always wanted to happen when I went to craft classes.

We all have a good chat too and I really enjoy it.

fabulousathome Tue 26-Apr-16 14:19:59

And OP, the papercutting one seems a good thing to teach. Slow and difficult but with cheap materials. Could people learn how to make special presents for others with it do you think?

SuzBAvon Tue 26-Apr-16 19:56:05

Hi I managed to make fun money, money to allow me and family go out and enjoy ourselves with out worrying about the cost. I make cards candles glass work as well as cakes I then top this up with Avon which sells itself really

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now