Any writers out there using People Per Hour?

(7 Posts)
cathyandclaire Wed 02-Mar-16 13:53:52

I've been a freelance writer for years but very part time with other bits of media work and mum duties. Many of the magazines I wrote for have folded (not just because of me I hope blush) and I'm thinking of building up some work through PPH.
The thing I'm confused about is the proposal, are you selling yourself or writing a synopsis of the article? In many ways I don't want to give too much away for free but I also want to get some jobs and I've been failing spectacularly so far.

SuckingEggs Wed 02-Mar-16 13:56:46

They generally pay appallingly badly, but you might find the odd gem. I've de-registered now.

SuckingEggs Wed 02-Mar-16 13:58:31

Oh and sometimes you are expected to do a synopsis (ie work for nothing!) while also selling yourself begging for work

Part of the reason I left was the ridiculous rates people offered, such as £30 for a 1000-word piece!! angry

cathyandclaire Wed 02-Mar-16 14:03:28

I saw one that was $3 per 500 words!

SuckingEggs Wed 02-Mar-16 14:35:02

What do they think people live on? Air?!

It was making me so angry that I had to get off the site.

cathyandclaire Fri 04-Mar-16 17:34:01

Well I won my first job grin pretty fair rate (although a fraction of what I used to get) and on a subject I'm interested in, so pleased to be on my way.

SuckingEggs Fri 04-Mar-16 18:03:31

Good stuff - well done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now