How to get freelance work without using freelancer.com or peopleperhour.com?

(4 Posts)
Melbournemel Wed 24-Feb-16 22:34:49

I started picking up a few freelance jobs recently to see how I got on and it turns out I really enjoy it smile My background is in writing and most of the work I've done is content/article writing, proofreading and short ebooks. I've been using freelancer and people per hour but tbh, I find there are a lot of chancers looking for people to work for peanuts, I was asked to write 1500 words yesterday for £1.50 shock

I didn't mind the low pay in the beginning as I was only testing the waters but now I'm looking for greener pastures and more money. I am good at what I do so I know that if I managed to hook one or two good clients I would have no problem getting repeat business. I just don't know how to go about doing it!

Melbournemel Wed 24-Feb-16 22:35:45

Sorry I should have also said what I mainly do is ghostwriting.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 24-Feb-16 23:45:32

Start with who are your potential clients? Do you have a previous niche/area of expertise that you can write about? It is much easier to sell yourself in an area you are proven in. Or if through PPH you have developed an expertise in a certain area, what other orgs would be interested in buying those services? Who is it that usually commissions you? A marketing person with no time, a PR person?

Then I'd tap up ex LinkedIn contacts, get on social media, get out networking and make tailored approaches to likely clients. Follow other writers that appear to have developed their niche.

PermaShattered Thu 25-Feb-16 11:15:02

Ditto the niche area. What areas of writing are your speciality? Your USP? Definitely get onto LinkedIn - and other social media depending on your 'niche'...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now