Usborne rep?

(8 Posts)
porsmork Fri 19-Feb-16 19:06:04

Is anyone here an Usborne books rep? I'm considering joining up, as I used to work in publishing before becoming a sahm, am a big advocate for literacy etc. However, I'm concerned that I don't have a 'sales' personality. I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this, to find out what your week looks like, how much you can earn etc. I'm really just looking for a bit of pocket money, and for something fun to do, rather than start a career. Any feedback on your own experiences would be great.

Powertotheparalai Fri 19-Feb-16 22:02:12

Check out the money matters MLM threads!

AlpacaLypse Fri 19-Feb-16 22:07:53

Usborne is a MLM, but it is pretty respectable - the product is good quality and not overpriced and the ethos doesn't have any of the cult-like aspects of Forever Living and similar schemes.

At least a couple of people on the MLM bot watch threads have talked about having had good experiences with them.

A good friend was a rep for a while, but never really earned much from it. She said recently that basically it equipped her children's bookshelves for free but that was about it. She's much happier working for me as one of my dog-walking team!

porsmork Sat 20-Feb-16 09:57:19

Thanks. I'm very wary of the mlm thing, but very stuck for ideas about getting back to work...

AlpacaLypse Sat 20-Feb-16 14:19:21

My dog walking business started as a bit of pocket money, and indeed that's all it was for the first few years, when I was still on call for collecting vomiting children from nursery/infants. However, it did pay more than enough to cover small luxuries that we'd been skimping on during the single income phase of parenting.

When the girls stopped being quite so needy, I had to decide whether or not to carry on or go back to my original job (strangely enough, in publishing smile).

I realised that I had grown used to being charge of my own time, to getting lots of fresh air and exercise and getting paid for it, and to only have to put on make up and smart shoes for Births Deaths and Marriages.

I could quite easily have gone back into office based work, indeed I was approached by the Head of the girl's primary when they left and asked if I would consider applying for the school secretary job when they left. I'd been on the PTA in order to keep up my admin skills.

Over the years I've seen a lot of other dog walkers come and go, a huge number only do it for a couple of years. I've also had a number of people in your position join the team for a few months or years. I've currently got four parents of primary school age children on the team. Two hours work a day, term time weekdays only.

I'm not rich and never will be, but I am happy.

Izzyg89 Sun 28-Feb-16 23:31:19

I'm not with Usborne. I've worked for 5 years with Phoenix Trading, and I've come to know a local Usborne Rep quite well in the last few years. There is a lot of negativity around MLM businesses, and I also cringe with some of the things that I see plastered across social media. However, I work with an ethical, professional and reputable company, and from what I've seen, Usborne are too.

I wouldn't worry about having a "salesy" personality. I don't have a sales background. If you are passionate about Usborne books, you sell by talking to people, showing them the books and letting them make their minds up. Usborne have fantastic products. If you put them in front of people who like them, they will sell.

Check out the costs and any sales targets, and work out what it will cost you if you decide it's not for you. If you are prepared to live with that, why don't you just give it a go? I don't think the join fees for Usborne are particularly high, and I suspect you receive some heavily discounted books in the starter pack.

Hopefully someone will come and give you some Usborne specific advice. However, I wish you lots of fun and success if you decide to give it a go.

Orangeteddy Thu 03-Mar-16 08:22:19

I am an Usborne rep so happy to answer any questions. I do this alongside another job as do several other organisers I know whereas some people are stay at home parents and work it around their children. I am not very salesy at all, the good thing with Usborne is that the product sell themselves!

The other good thing for me is the flexibility. I worked loads in the run up to Xmas with fayres and parties but then took it easy in January. Now back on it with school events for World Book Day . It is also lovely actually selling a product people are interested in and you can be genuinely enthusiastic about without having to give the hard sell.

The start up costs are £38, normally you receive £150 of books for that to get you going but this month there is a special offer where you receive a bumper pack of £200 worth of books so definitely a good month to join. Commission is 24% but on top of that you also get free books for your family (or to sell or use as prizes) and there are additional incentives along the way (eg to get your kit price refunded).

How much you earn really depends on how
much you work. Initially it may be a couple of hundred pounds a month but you can grow this by selling in bulk to schools or by building a team. However, there is no pressure to do any of these things. Your business can be what you want it to be.

Happy to answer any more questions either on here or via PM. And if you are considering joining, I am looking for new team members and would mentor and support you if you joined my team so do get in touch for more info

Blueredballoon Fri 04-Mar-16 13:52:20

I do Usborne- as a fun hobby really as I have another freelancing career that I'm currently on maternity leave from for a few months. I just do the odd Christmas fair/ book fair for schools and it's a fun way of earning some extra cash- I can often take my kids too so I don't have childcare costs for it.

There's no recruitment push in it like other MLMs- you can do that if you want, or you can just focus on selling the books. I hate home parties so I just basically have a little travelling book stall at local events and fairs and make 24% on every book sold. There's zero pressure and it's a great way for me to keep my children in free books and earn some extra pocket money cash too.

It cost me £38 to join and I easily made that back within a couple of fairs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now