Working during paid maternity leave?

(13 Posts)
coveredinsnot Wed 10-Feb-16 17:08:00

I'm currently on maternity leave from a full time job so am receiving occupational and statutory maternity pay. I'm due to return to work in September.

I'd like to set up some private work as a sole trader, to start in 2-3 months.

Is this possible, or will it cause problems with maternity pay and tax, etc?

Many thanks smile

dementedpixie Thu 11-Feb-16 09:27:43

Once you start working your maternity leave will end

DrSeussRevived Thu 11-Feb-16 09:32:57

You are still employed throughout your maternity leave - what does your contract say about taking additional work?

Certainly if I was your employer and found you were doing this whilst being paid occupational rather than just statutory pay, i would be calling HR to see what steps I could take.

dementedpixie Thu 11-Feb-16 09:33:27

Do you mean you will be self employed? I might be wrong then

mangocoveredlamb Thu 11-Feb-16 09:35:37

My understanding from the maternity action pages is that you can work in a self employed basis while in receipt of SMP, as long as your employed contract doesn't exclude you from doing so (whether working or while on leave!)

coveredinsnot Thu 11-Feb-16 21:23:03

Blimey DrSuess you're scary! Just to clarify -I'm asking as I don't want to do anything illegal. I work for the NHS, and would be working in private practice (self employed) while on leave. I've spoken to different people about this who have all said slightly different things. A friend said that if my private work is to take place outside of my normal hours of work then that's fine as I can do what I like in my free time. Someone else said it doesn't matter for tax purposes, as any private practice earnings would be taxed in 2017/18. I just need to speak to hmrc and my HR department and vet clarification... Was just wondering if someone had a straightforward yes or no answer. Seems not!

mangocoveredlamb Thu 11-Feb-16 22:16:23

Call maternity action. They'll know and are really friendly and helpful!

coveredinsnot Fri 12-Feb-16 10:08:34

Fabulous thank you smile

coveredinsnot Fri 12-Feb-16 16:46:37

Maternity Action say no problem whatsoever to work on mat leave in self employed role so long as there is no conflict of interest with primary employer.

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction!

DrSeussRevived Fri 12-Feb-16 18:06:47

Does your contract allow this though? (for NHS it may well do as private practice is common, many private sector jobs don't!)

mangocoveredlamb Fri 12-Feb-16 21:11:30

Great stuff coveredinsnot!!

coveredinsnot Sat 13-Feb-16 07:14:13

Yes it does Dr Seuss. Many of my NHS colleagues work in private practice also. Not a problem.

DrSeussRevived Sat 13-Feb-16 09:18:32

Excellent then you are sorted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now