Working as a Virtual Assistant through People Per Hour

(5 Posts)
twosugars Thu 28-Jan-16 16:56:25

Hello, I am a returning to work mum who is looking to become a freelance Virtual Assistant, so I can work around dc a bit better. (I've got work experience as a PA)

I've just got my first client (very chuffed) which should be for about 5 hours a week to start with and then build from there - then hopefully I can find other clients.

The thing is, I can't decide whether to invoice through PeoplePer Hour, or just go it alone. I know there is a fee on PPH but I guess it is also easier to find ongoing work on there and build up a reputation ..or is it better just to bill direct and set up alone?

Wondered if anyone else could share their experience, and if there were any of you who were doing the VA thing and making it work, either on a freelance site or independently?

I've got a 2 day a week job aswell until I get established so I'm a bit restricted in that sense at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

mrsvilliers Fri 29-Jan-16 12:00:45

Well done on getting your first client! I would go it alone with client #1 and then maybe use PPH to get more work, as I've heard they take a hefty cut. You just need to make sure you stay on top of your tax and there is plenty of advice on here on how to do that. Good luck!

sportinguista Fri 29-Jan-16 14:17:06

I use PPH to get clients. What normally happens is they do the first job with me then once they are happy with the work I switch them over to billing through my company which works well for me.

twosugars Fri 29-Jan-16 14:49:12

thanks for your advice smile
Yes, I think I will do that as I got the client through PPH initially and they have booked me for a few hours already.

It's all very new to me and wasn't expecting to get any work so now that I have I want to make a go of it!

I guess then it's better to have your own business/website/logo etc?

sportinguista Sun 31-Jan-16 16:20:51

It is good to have a web presence and also a good LinkedIn profile that you can point clients to. I also list my projects on there so clients can see what my experience is. On PPH always make sure you get a review, this will help to boost your rating and get you more jobs. Outside PPH set up a billing system through something like PayPal as it's easier to do accounts that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now