Totally self-pitying, left it to the last minute, tax return thread

(92 Posts)
LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 12-Jan-16 13:28:02

Waaaaaah! Every year I leave it till the last minute (and I know this isn't strictly speaking the last minute and some of you cheeky monkeys will be leaving it even later!).

Why do I do it to myself, why?

StuffEverywhere Tue 12-Jan-16 14:47:00

Yikes! This is not last minute, I've forgotten about it altogether!

Thanks for the reminder confused

My brother ALWAYS files it late and pays a fine, despite having very little to report (nothing complicated).

Emmathebookkeeper Tue 12-Jan-16 16:41:24

Oh dear...... smile

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 12-Jan-16 16:43:47

I always like to provide a little amusement to our hardworking accountant friends on the SE boards at this time of the year Emma grin

No doubt TiP will be along soon to tell me he's very disappointed in me grin

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 12-Jan-16 19:55:04

I know Wilson. I am about to drive to push my receipts through my accountants door.

When I dropped them off last year, I said "I'll do them much earlier next year". And she said everyone promises to deliver them in May!!

It has to be done...sad

LaurieFairyCake Tue 12-Jan-16 20:00:23

There's weeks to go !

fusspot66 Tue 12-Jan-16 20:04:10

Another one here! Next year I'll start sooner and keep my paperwork up to date.grin

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 12-Jan-16 20:42:39

Empty, empty promises. You'll be here in a year, with the (completely empty) Big Folder For Receipts, trying to remember the times you drove to the client instead of Skyping...

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 12-Jan-16 20:43:25

Oh and Laurie - 19 days!

eastwest Tue 12-Jan-16 20:44:18

Oh sympathy. I'm just finishing mine off now. Luckily I make sod all so it doesn't take me very long grin

BombadierFritz Tue 12-Jan-16 20:46:14

Aaaargh you frightened me then! Theres loads of time left yet!!

LartyLaura Thu 14-Jan-16 14:33:25

I pay an accountant to submit mine as I'm terrified of getting it wrong. I've just finished my spreadsheet. The bit I hate the most is going back over all of my bank statements. Why can't we just give the HMRC an approximate figure? lol smile

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 14-Jan-16 18:09:02

They should totes accept a round up!

sportinguista Tue 19-Jan-16 14:55:55

Going to do mine this week! First one and I'm nervous although I've only earn't enough to be class 2 NI anyway. It should be fairly easy as I do it all through PayPal anyway so just tot that up then work out allowables etc...

Merguez Wed 20-Jan-16 20:10:00

Completed mine today and feeling rather smug grin

redhat Wed 20-Jan-16 20:11:40

Mine was done today and I just need to file it (I paid someone else to do it though).

BelfastSmile Wed 20-Jan-16 20:17:53

I gave up on claiming expenses a couple of years ago (it only ever added up to less than £20, and took several hours to organise all the receipts etc). Income is reasonably easy as I usually have a maximum of about 6 invoices. Still leave it till a week before the deadline every time.

SparklesandBangs Wed 20-Jan-16 20:30:29

I always do mine over the Christmas break as I seem to have time then to trawl through everything and DH is home when I need details of accounts etc I don't manage.
He does his in the spring as soon as he has all the statements, pay paperwork in.
The year I was ill at Christmas was a mad panic, but hasn't made me sort earlier.

FairNotFair Wed 20-Jan-16 20:33:02

Done mine. Why do I leave it until the last minute?

Every. Bloody. Year.

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Thu 21-Jan-16 15:08:33

Did mine yesterday, pretty early for me grin

Potterwolfie Thu 21-Jan-16 15:11:25

I've sill to finish mine off too, got so far and then it came to the hard bit...gah! I VOW to do my next on by April 6th.....

nagsandovalballs Thu 21-Jan-16 15:17:28

Question - I submitted my tax return on April 6th last year and was issued with a 'what I owe' bit of paper this autumn. I can pay most of what I know I need to on or before 31st. Ie I am able to pay all of the due payment and about 50% of the on account.

Will I be fined? How much will I be fined? Is it worth getting a credit card and taking money out to pay the amount i am unable to pay? (We are talking being short by about £800-1500. I will be able to pay this off by end feb/mid March.)

DorynownotFloundering Thu 21-Jan-16 15:17:45

Can I join in the self flagellation ?! 😱panicking because all the docs I religiously backed up to my external hard drive (I thought) are not showing & my lappy died . Have got a friends old one pro tem & will have to download One Drive later & see if it's saved on there. I was SO good about invoices for each month etc this year ......(wails)

redhat Thu 21-Jan-16 15:34:13

You will owe the 50 percent on account nags this has to be paid by 31st. I know there's a process for applying for that to be reduced on the basis that your income is expected to be significantly lower next year. But otherwise HMRC take the view that since we are already nearly at the end of the next tax year you should already have had that money come in, deducted the tax and put it to one side and it should be sitting there ready and waiting to be handed over.

bimandbam Thu 21-Jan-16 15:42:23

I did mine today <polishes halo>. That is a record for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now