Is it worth keeping my limited company active now that I earn less?

(4 Posts)
LegsForever Mon 04-Jan-16 12:27:30

DH and I started a Ltd company together 3 years ago when he was doing some very lucrative contract work and I was just starting out in my new profession as a therapist. Originally we both put all our invoices etc. through the company.

Since then he has gone into permanent employment and I have continued working through the company, and my earnings have been typically around £1000 a month maximum.

Recently I took a lot of time off because we had a big building project done and so I earned even less during that time.

I am reaching the end of the financial year for the company and I just don't know what to do with it. I only have approx £8500 in the company account, having taken absolutely nothing out for the whole year except for some expenses amounting to about £400.

Our accountant charges £1000 to do the company accounts, which is just silly considering the earnings, and so DH has suggested I should be able to do that myself - I don't feel at all confident about that I must say.

My preference is to just close the company down and take the money out as salary (retrospectively), but I am interested to know if I am missing something in terms of benefits in having the company active.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is that DH might need to go contracting again if his current employment finishes - but who knows when that might be!

I would be so grateful if you have any suggestions anyone.

Emmathebookkeeper Mon 04-Jan-16 22:54:18

Hi,

Perhaps you should post this on www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/
There are many accountants who will be able to advise.

All the best
Emma

LegsForever Tue 05-Jan-16 08:02:37

Thanks Emma.

I spoke to my accountant yesterday and he advised me to close it.

Useful to know about that forum though, so thanks for that.

Emmathebookkeeper Tue 05-Jan-16 08:32:07

No problem, glad you got it sorted out.

All the best

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now