Have the HMRC sent out the Class 2 NIC letters yet?

(15 Posts)
unclebumpkin1 Wed 14-Oct-15 19:08:30

Mine hasn't shown up yet... but I thought it was due about now.

Thanks

OfflineFor40Years Thu 15-Oct-15 10:31:40

Hi

Class 2 NIC is no longer being collected during the year - it will become due at the same time that you file your self assessment. If your profits are under the threshold (2015/16 - £5,965) you will owe nothing [previously you had to apply for an exemption], otherwise it will be £145.60 (£2.80 x 52 weeks).

unclebumpkin1 Thu 15-Oct-15 20:25:33

what if you want to keep up your 'stamp' levels?

woodhill Thu 15-Oct-15 20:38:59

I have received mine. I already pay ni contributions through my employer and this is the first time I have registered SE so I didn't expect it. I will have to write to them. It was quite distressing when you are not expecting this.

OfflineFor40Years Thu 15-Oct-15 20:59:52

If you want to keep your entitlement to statutory benefits, you can opt to pay voluntary contributions; you can also pay them in advance if you will be needing to claim contributions based benefits (e.g. maternity allowance).

Have a look on the tax aid website for more info

unclebumpkin1 Fri 16-Oct-15 11:10:51

when did the letter show up? thanks

unclebumpkin1 Sat 14-Nov-15 23:24:24

still not got mine...

glenthebattleostrich Sat 14-Nov-15 23:26:29

I was wondering about this too. I'm going to phone the tax office on Monday. I paid in July but nothing for the second half of the year.

talkinpeace Sun 15-Nov-15 20:53:37

Class 2 still exists, but it will be collected as part of the tax return like class 4 from now on
www.gov.uk/self-employed-national-insurance-rates

glenthebattleostrich Sun 15-Nov-15 20:55:14

Thanks talkin, I googled but managed to get myself going round in circles.

unclebumpkin1 Mon 07-Dec-15 20:51:01

"Class 2 still exists, but it will be collected as part of the tax return like class 4 from now on
www.gov.uk/self-employed-national-insurance-rates"

Is this a recent thing then? As up until this recent period, the letters have shown up and I guess that would thus explain it...

DeoGratias Sun 13-Dec-15 20:07:19

Yes, it's very new. It saves the state writing to people during the year and is all done at once on the tax return along with class 4 contributions the self employed also pay.

museumum Fri 18-Dec-15 13:47:16

I had a letter about 6mo ago to say is no longer receive letters or pay by DD but that it would be taken in my tax return. It changed about July I think.

tickory2 Thu 07-Jan-16 21:06:25

That makes sense now. Just submitted my self employment assessment. I'm just over the £10k limit and have to pay class 4 Nics and it says I owe £245ish by 31 Jan. shock I got confused as had forgotten they are not collecting through the year. I was paying by DD which stopped in July. Now I remember why.

Am I right in thinking you can still set up a 'budget plan' and pay monthly though?

Maxwella72 Wed 27-Jan-16 23:36:56

Help please! First time self-assessment Q: when entering details of any hours worked, do you have to provide names, details of whom you have done work for? And what is the earnings threshold? Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now