Help with wording for marketing

(14 Posts)
JenniMToday Mon 14-Sep-15 09:52:03

I'm a self-employed tutor (I teach adult education courses) and have just begun to work privately offering one to one and small group sessions in IT and tablets in particular. I'm fine at creating a leaflet, but I have no idea what words to write on it!

Is there some kind of online thing I can work through, or someone who will just give me a few minutes support (I can't afford to spend out much as starting very small)?

Or would any of you give me some pointers?

Here's the current wording on a a6 flyer. There's also my logo and a picture of a generic tablet. The audience is currently my immediate area but something more general I could have printed in bulk would be best.
====
(heading)Learn to use your iPad, iPhone, tablet or computer
(subheading)One to one or small group sessions

Tuition in a range of computing subjects at all levels, even complete beginners. I??m a police checked, qualified and experienced tutor living in Denmead.

To find out more contact Jenni on:
07845 xxxxxx
learn@ xxx
Visit www.xxx
www.facebook.com/jennixxxx
====

senua Mon 14-Sep-15 10:19:51

Try thinking of it from their perspective instead of yours; think as the buyer of your service instead of the seller.

I can't see from your text who the service is aimed at - youngsters, adults, grandparents?

What, exactly, are they going to learn? It might be an idea to pepper the leaflet with questions that the typical learner might ask (to show that you are on their wavelength) eg
what is an app,
how do I know which ones are safe,
how do I do <insert task here>

Where will the tuition take place?

Keep asking the "What and Why and When And How And Where and Who" questions, all the time with your buyer's hat on. Try to think what will make your audience say "I want/need this service". What pushes their buttons? (literally and figuratively grin)

Cookiecake Mon 14-Sep-15 10:53:59

Some great advice from senua, you have to think like your target audience. If you saw the leaflet what questions would you have, personally I think I would wonder where the tuition would take place. Also I would wonder about the cost and length of tuition - obviously you probably couldn't get all the info on a small leaflet though.

I think on the leaflet it would be great to highlight potential skills that people could learn through your tuition - keeping the terminology simple so your audience understands. You could even do this visually through the pictures ( I know you said you are going to have a generic tablet on the leaflet).

It's great you have so many ways to contact you though, especially having phone number as your audience is probably not 100%technology savvy.

CocktailQueen Mon 14-Sep-15 11:00:07

Agree with Senua - be more specific about what you are offering; for example:

Have you just bought a new tablet? Struggling to work out how it works?

I can help! I can help you set up messaging, email, Oovoo, Whatsapp, usage limits [whatever you're offering]

Learn about your new tablet in the comfort of my home [give town]

Course aimed at all ages - people with no experience of tablets welcome.

Any questions, please contact me! [tel no]

hth?

JenniMToday Mon 14-Sep-15 12:26:44

Thank you, this is really helpful.

JenniMToday Mon 14-Sep-15 14:04:04

I've tried to use some of the ideas. This is a work in progress and I will rearrange a little to fit the contact details back on but thought while they weren't visible it was a good time to share to see if you had further feedback!

JenniMToday Mon 14-Sep-15 14:04:45

This is a5 now, BTW.

JenniMToday Mon 14-Sep-15 20:35:40

Bump...

CocktailQueen Mon 14-Sep-15 21:47:55

I like it!! Ad stands out, includes all the info readers need, and answers some questions straight away. Good luck smile

JenniMToday Tue 15-Sep-15 07:07:19

Thank you. Do you think it needs more of a title? I think I'd glance at it and not be sure what it was about..

jemmahughes2015 Tue 15-Sep-15 09:01:18

How about 'The Tablet Whisperer'?

Some people will look at it thinking it's about prescription solving (whatever that is), I'm sure, but they'll look.

Fontella Tue 15-Sep-15 09:16:15

Freelance graphic designer/copywriter here - been self-employed for over 20 years working for numerous public and private sector clients producing print items like flyers, posters, brochures etc. on a daily basis. Have also previously worked as a press officer, publicity offer and a newspaper feature writer.

There are elements of your flyer that are very good, and some that are less so, but I'm not going to do a critique of it on the forum because it wouldn't be fair and would probably bringing the wrath of mumsnet down on my head for being 'harsh'.

grin

However, if you want to pm me Jenni, I am more than happy to give you a few pointers which may be of help.

CocktailQueen Tue 15-Sep-15 11:02:48

You could increase the font size of your headings: 'Do you have a tablet/iPad? Would you like some help getting started?' to make them stand out more, OP.

JenniMToday Tue 15-Sep-15 14:22:29

Thanks for feedback. I have PMed Fontella, too.
I definitely think it needs some kind of title at the top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now