Insurance - am I being told a crock of......?

(5 Posts)
MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 21-Jul-15 09:21:25

The insurance co are saying that because I use other freelancers (ad hoc for a range of services - proofreading, admin, design, website design) I need them included in my cover! I have probably used c50 people over the last year for different bits and pieces! I am not sure I see it as sub-contracting but buying services from others.

Aside from the designers & website people (where my clients pay the freelancers directly) my clients never know I am using others, and the work always goes back through me.

Is this just a way to hike up the premium? Or does this sound normal?

I am a marketing freelancer.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 21-Jul-15 09:42:17

And 'Thanks in advance'!

SweetCharityBeginsAtHome Tue 21-Jul-15 09:49:55

You need the work they do covered because if they screw up your clients will sue you, and you may well not be able to recover from the freelancers. Do you always require that they have their own insurance? If you do then you'll probably get a discount on the cost of covering their work. If you don't then it might cost a noticeable amount.

As ever, if you think the insurance company are charging too much (or even if you're not sure) then shop around.

TalkinPeace Wed 22-Jul-15 15:06:53

If you are billing out their work, you need cover for them.

If they have their own, you need to make sure you've seen the certificates.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 22-Jul-15 21:42:15

Ok thanks. Guess I will have to extend it. He was just really pushy and annoying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now