Which name would be best please?

(22 Posts)
DakotaFanny Fri 13-Jun-14 11:20:17

Hi,

I'm about to start a card/picture making business....very small terms...but I really want to get the name right. I have narrowed it down to the following two, for totally different reasons. Which do you prefer?

"Tantum Vobis" which means "All for you" in Latin (appeals to my intellectual side (?!!), and love the word Vobis...but tricky to remember / understand??)

"Raspberry Gin" because....errr, I really like raspberry gin and I think it sounds kind of cool, easy to remember etc, but not sure if mention of alcohol is the way forwards!!!

Any opinions much appreciated...but please go easy on me if you hate them both. I just want to know which you prefer.

Thank you

BuzzardBird Fri 13-Jun-14 17:38:16

The name Raspberry Gin will go down better in this industry. I have worked in card sales for most of my adult life and the querky sounding names were always popular. You are expecting too much and risk ostracising some buyers by using Latin...they will feel foolish if they don't understand it.

DakotaFanny Fri 13-Jun-14 18:52:38

Thank you. Do you see a problem with the gin bit? Would Raspberry Fizz be better?

Raspberry fizz might win you the Methodist vote, lol. I was told on a business course not to go for the intellectual stuff, purely because most people won't get it. I think its harder to remember this stuff to, and you want them to remember to Google you...

BobTheFly Fri 13-Jun-14 19:02:54

I agree. If I couldn't quite remember your name I might get the raspberry bit and google that and probably find you. The other one I might only remember that it was Latin and not have any further info to google you on.

*other search engines are available.

DakotaFanny Fri 13-Jun-14 19:20:14

Brilliant. Thank you.

I'm now onto Raspberry sunset, raspberry crush, raspberry gin or raspberry fizz.

Any preferences?

Zephyroux Fri 13-Jun-14 19:27:17

I like raspberry crush, don't know why, I just do!

Fiz for me....crush might be a cordial <in my odd mind>

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 13-Jun-14 20:56:27

Raspberry Fizz or Raspberry Sorbet.

Theres a shop local to me called Raspberry Bizarre and it is amazing

AdorableAbbie Mon 16-Jun-14 00:03:50

Why not plain "Raspberry" ? or perhaps, Raspberry Craze?

dietcokeandcadburys Mon 16-Jun-14 00:09:19

The Latin ones a bit to intellectual for most grin
Love the idea of a raspberry name, I thinks fizz sounds best, crush and gin sound a bit too much like drinks company names

dietcokeandcadburys Mon 16-Jun-14 00:09:47

raspberry pop? bubble?

BillnTedsMostFeministAdventure Mon 16-Jun-14 00:20:11

Raspberry Fizz as that could be alcohol or soda.

Is the domain name, twitter name, FB page all free?

Fideliney Mon 16-Jun-14 00:23:29

I definitely thing single syllable for second word. Scans better.

BuzzardBird Mon 16-Jun-14 04:47:56

Raspberry gin was my favourite. Greeting card buyers like a bit of tongue in cheek fun. Some very successful companies have names that are nothing to do with the industry...just fun. Check out the listings for the spring fair NEC, you will see what I mean.

Thumbwitch Mon 16-Jun-14 04:55:52

Definitely not the "Tantum vobis" choice - vobis just doesn't even look nice as a word. For some reason it reminds me of something nasty - some villain in something or other - ahhh, Deacon Vorbis in Small Gods by Terry Pratchett, that's it. Not a good choice. <shudder>

Raspberry Fizz is my favourite of your other options. Could be alcoholic or not (champagne or soda) if you want to think of it like that. But don't go cake otherwise you'll be copying Strawberry Shortcake etc.

BuzzardBird Mon 16-Jun-14 05:05:13

There's a card company named "5 dollar shake" for instance, nothing to do with cards, just a great quote. I love it.

Fideliney Mon 16-Jun-14 05:09:16

There's a card company named "5 dollar shake" for instance,

Awful. Sounds like a service in a cheap brothel.

GirlInASwirl Mon 16-Jun-14 05:14:24

When you name your company you also have to check a few things -

1.) alphabetical order - ones closer to A get more hits on search engines
2.) what would come up on the internet when you put your company name in
3.) how easy it would be for people to search for you - the Latin one would be a nightmare here - particularly for people who struggle with spelling
4.) what kind of identity you want you company to have
5.) checking company house to make sure that no-one else has the name already/that it won't clash with a company nearby

Good luck

BuzzardBird Mon 16-Jun-14 05:14:55

Ha ha! Never once thought of it that way! Was a big Pulp Fiction fan though blush

Fideliney Mon 16-Jun-14 05:19:03

Tarantino? That explains it smile

DakotaFanny Wed 18-Jun-14 22:23:48

Thank you everybody. Really appreciate your input.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now