Do you work from home? What do you do?

(27 Posts)
ebbieg Mon 05-May-14 20:09:00

I need to find work I can do from home while my two year old has his daytime sleep and in the evening. I would really appreciate any ideas and advice about what you do and how you got there smile thanks!

EssexMummy123 Tue 06-May-14 22:04:37

There's been a few threads about this already - try doing a search.

some people have ebay businesses, some do transcription, some people do party plan type things e.g phoenix cards, some do copy writing, any of those appeal?

WilsonFrickett Wed 07-May-14 14:37:43

What skills do you have? start with that...

Chammy84 Thu 08-May-14 09:21:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Addy11 Sun 08-Jun-14 10:52:38

geriA8 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:02:15

geriA8 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:02:44

MiconiumHappens Tue 24-Jun-14 21:30:50

Looks a little sock puppety this thread.

smartfuture Thu 26-Jun-14 23:12:52

I do some work from home to generate an extra income. I'd be happy to share the details with you, just pm me.

DoingItForMyself Thu 26-Jun-14 23:31:53

I sell a very specific product to homes and schools in my area (would out me to say what!). I have a website and most people place orders on there, a few phone or email me instead, but it is mainly automated with little customer contact so a nan be done at any point through the day, and then I do deliveries once a week while the DCs are at school.

I also childmind after school and in school holidays.

Previous jobs have included another internet based company selling supplies for a particular hobby.

It doesn't pay amazingly well, but the flexibility makes up for that and as a single parent I get some help with tax credits and maintenance.

DoingItForMyself Thu 26-Jun-14 23:32:58

Hmm just noticed all the deletions! Am I wasting my time here?

Naomiismynumber1 Fri 11-Jul-14 08:03:08

Hi,
I've recently started a new business online from home as I also have child care problems.
Get in touch if your interested.
I've seen a lot of people succeed with this model. smile

gilbertysullivan Fri 11-Jul-14 13:23:35

oh not another blinking advert Naomi- it will be deleted soon.smile

Naomiismynumber1 Fri 11-Jul-14 17:50:27

smile I hope not, that's the whole point of the thread lol. Have you had any luck with working from home?

pinkfrocks Sat 12-Jul-14 10:44:30

Yes I've worked from home for 16 years. It's not a 'business' in that I sell or make things- I am a writer/author.

Leaspintop Tue 15-Jul-14 07:58:26

It can be really difficult finding flexible work-I work as a social media content creator so it's all at home anyway (sometimes at home a little too much if I'm honest), but I know a friend who does AMAZINGLY well selling Mary Kay products. She wrote a blog post that you might find helpful ericawallaceuk.wordpress.com/2014/07/04/how-to-dodge-the-plight-of-working-mothers-if-you-are-a-working-mother/

duchesse Tue 15-Jul-14 08:09:22

I'm a translator but honestly I could never do this with a two year old at home, nor wrap it around naps in fact my job nearly went down the pan once I no longer had au pairs and had DD3 hanging around constantly. Just getting back on track now and she's nearly 5!

Karrenn Fri 18-Jul-14 10:45:01

Izzyg89 Sat 19-Jul-14 22:22:21

I've been a Phoenix Trader for 3 years (I sell cards and stationery). I started when my little boy was 2, and I very much fitted in my Phoenix work around him. I sell via brochures, parties, at toddler groups and events, on my website and Facebook page. I really enjoy Phoenix, and I've met some great people, regained my confidence and earn my own income.

Elissa1982 Tue 29-Jul-14 15:44:03

I am working with a beauty and wellness based American company - also, like most of you, I run my own business trough my website and Facebook page. I work from home, on my own time and I no longer have to answer to horrible boss! I as too have met really interesting people, with all sorts of different backgrounds. Plus - I get to deal with great products (Aloe Vera).

perthmom Thu 31-Jul-14 13:04:51

I do online transcription from home. Doesn't pay well but at least I can do the school runs and be there for my kids in the holidays. I'm looking for parttime work outside the home tho'

MoCox Tue 19-Aug-14 20:37:20

suzannec091982 Sun 31-Aug-14 12:15:18

Hi I work from home and I've got a new 8 and 6 year old and a 17 month old. I find what I do fits in perfectly around my family.

Twoothoot Thu 04-Sep-14 23:04:55

An old thread but I work from home with usborne. There are a number of ways to work from home successfully including dsa companies like Usborne.

The advantage of this company is it's flexibility in that you can work as much it little as you like and choose when and how you work too. There is also great support in place, and you get free books for your family which is a fantastic perk for anyone wanting to do this around their children.

I think with everything like this you need to look at when you can work, what you can do and then research as much as possible to find the right niche for you.

nickyjack4 Wed 08-Oct-14 10:30:18

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now