Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

On line Training Courses, for trainers

(11 Posts)
ItIsAnIdeasGame Mon 05-May-14 13:20:02

Since my career seems to be segueing into becoming a trainer, i think i should do a qual and boost my skills a bit and not fuck up this amazing opportunity. I'm in the middle of a pilot session of courses but have just been offered a bigger contract starting in September.

What would any of you professional trainers recommend?

EBearhug Mon 05-May-14 13:32:14

I'm not currently a professional trainer, but I have been doing a lot of training at work in the past months, and have struggled at times with learner engagement, not least because the people I've been training have mostly been in a different location.

I am currently doing training with the Training Foundation, the eLearning ones.
Course list. Most of the courses are available as classroom or purely online, so you have the choice of which way you do it.

iseenodust Fri 09-May-14 12:54:37

EBear depending upon what subjects you are providing training on, you might find some of the resources on this website useful. Some are free. (I wrote some for them a few years ago but no vested interest/no ongoing relationship.)

EBearhug Fri 09-May-14 19:33:16

I am delivering internal training on internal applications and processes, usually to people in a different country, which is partly why I have struggled with learner engagement - it's a lot easier if you're all in the same place. (Though still not always easy.)

ItIsAnIdeasGame Sat 10-May-14 09:53:59

I've got in contact with them, thanks. Also had a meeting with the client and they keep sending content that they want added to the day. Having to become very boundary orientated.

Just wish I knew more! Iseenodust I shall look at your website too.

ItIsAnIdeasGame Sat 10-May-14 09:55:33

ebearhug how tricky to keep them engaged over a distance. What kind of hours are they meant to be putting in?

EBearhug Sat 10-May-14 12:28:23

I don’t do training with remote locations for more than an hour, but even during that time, I know they are checking email, chatting online and so on. (One was even daft enough to ping me on instant messenger for a non- training-related thing in the middle of a session.) As much as I ask them to mark themselves unavailable and just not check email for a single hour, I am not there and can't enforce it.

Another problem is that English isn't their first language, although they are all good enough that it's their working language. I am not sure how much is down to that or their age (it's their first or second job out of college in most cases), but checking progress and understanding, it's hard to get more than a monosyllabic "yis" out of them, and I think in some cases at least, they haven't understood, but don't want to say (and a couple I suspect don't care.)

So I just want to learn some strategies to learn how to handle that and keep them more interested, so they do learn the things they need to learn for their job.

ItIsAnIdeasGame Sat 10-May-14 13:39:21

That's tricky. My friend us a tell teacher and had policemen ( overseas ) answering calls during class. What us usually the cultural motivator? Fear or reward?

Hoppinggreen Sat 10-May-14 23:48:22

I've done remote training with India and it's very hard as culturally they won't tell you that they don't understand. No word of wisdom I'm afraid, I only do UK remote training now.

fancyanotherfez Sat 10-May-14 23:54:30

Sorry just want to hijack for a second. How do you get into remote training? I tutor and sometimes do online marking but would like to broaden my repertoire with online training.

EBearhug Sun 11-May-14 02:17:48

How do you get into remote training?

In my case, by working for a multinational who takes on a new team in E. Europe because they're cheaper. But there are more opportunities around, because eLearning is a growth area. A lot of companies that have a number of sites have people getting involved with it.

I did a techy course in the autumn (as a student, rather than trainer), and we did that by web conference with shared virtual machines for the practical sessions. Not quite as good as face-to-face training, but it was pretty good. The one thing I got from that was that the trainer needs to know their tools before starting. Experimenting with WebEx highlighting tools (or similar) and trying to get it to do what you want in the middle of the course is not a helpful way of doing it, and he could have taken half an hour going through that process before he was online with us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now