First commission

(7 Posts)

I have my own design business but money being a bit tight and loving writing, I sent a pitch the main regional newspaper for my city and they love it and commissioned it!

I won't be retiring on the proceeds but I am thrilled at the vote of confidence - it'll be a 2 page spread with a photoshoot.

Maybe I'll get to join this board as a legitimate freelancer soon... smile

brilliant ! well done you !! :-)

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 18-Feb-14 22:27:46

Well done!

CommsWhizz Mon 24-Feb-14 11:55:56

Fantastic, well done! Hope this is the start of something wonderful for you.

freelancenewbie Mon 24-Feb-14 12:32:43

Congratulations!

PermaShattered Thu 06-Mar-14 12:29:42

well done! And a bit of advice for now - and future reference: for every article you research and write - there's more in there. So use your research to pitch similar pieces to other publications....

And if this particular newspaper likes it - then they won't be the only ones. Pitch elsewhere but (obviously) with a different angle....

I've recently researched for a piece (I'm in business writing). I pitched to others - and the one topic alone has (so far!) earned me nearly £1000.

Good luck!

whatdoesittake48 Thu 06-Mar-14 17:21:13

I would love to hear more about this pitching business. I am a writer and have been published in magazines - but never quite know how to approach a newspaper. Even a local one...I have been doing this for five years and still have confidence issues smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now