Help me thrash out a plan? I'm hesitating.

(5 Posts)
CajaDeLaMemoria Mon 03-Feb-14 17:42:06

I want to work for myself again.

I'll need to earn about £2,000 a month. That wasn't a problem before, but I was really undercharging, working all the hours under the sun and I didn't ask for contracts. This time, I want to do it well.

I've got a lot of experience in digital media. I can do it, and I can do it well. I've worked with a few really big international names.

I can't use social media to promote myself yet, and that would usually be my first port of call. It's a long story, but it'll sort itself out in a while.

So, how do I market myself towards clients who might be interested in my skills?

This is 100% the right thing for me to do, ASAP. I'm scared, though. I'm not good at selling myself!

TalkinPeace Mon 03-Feb-14 19:40:04

linkedin connections

WilsonFrickett Mon 03-Feb-14 21:37:38

Start with a quiet email to all your existing contacts, ex clients etc. (I'm guessing you're on some sort of restrictive covenant just now). If you need to build your portfolio you could look for a couple of charity freebies.

Get everything organised so you can hit the ground running when it's time. Join the Chamber of Commerce or similar?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 04-Feb-14 13:31:35

Does it need to be £2k a month from the off? The answer will shape your next move.

If it is from the off could you do a part-time role or a contract to start you off and give you a base income?

As for reaching out you just need to do as wilson suggests and contact those you know/know of you.

It sounds like you also want to change how you run your business. Have you got a contract in place, worked out fees etc? Now is a good time before you get busy.

andrewthedaddy Fri 21-Feb-14 16:37:21

Hi, I know of a few good resources. However setting a target of £2k is a but harsh for a business starting from scratch. The best thing to do is get proficient at networking. Its a skill so many people overlook. I'm happy to help, just 'network' with me for a start! LOL. On a serious note, get in touch with me. I'm very confident I can assist you in some capacity, and that goes for anyone reading this thread :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now