Any proofreaders on here please?

(6 Posts)
Chicinwellies Mon 03-Feb-14 12:40:52

How did you get started? Keen to know if the volunteering route is really the best foot in the door, after a distance learning course? Am not looking to take over the world with proofreading & copywriting skills but am keen to give it my best shot.
I have a degree in English & History, A Level & GCSE A's for English, and 15 years experience as an Executive PA & Communications officer. Thanks

Punkatheart Tue 04-Feb-14 11:23:44

Go to the website of the Society of Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP).

MooncupGoddess Wed 05-Feb-14 14:48:47

Check out Louise Harnby's website, she's got some good advice.

www.louiseharnbyproofreader.com/

CocktailQueen Mon 10-Feb-14 17:59:28

There was another thread on this v recently - why not have a look at it? Lots of good advice on there.

Agree with visiting the SfEP site, and Louise is a friend and her blog is really helpful!

To answer your q, who were you thinking of volunteering for? And which distance learning course are you thinking about?

tuitiondevon Thu 20-Mar-14 07:59:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Aberchips Thu 05-Jun-14 16:05:19

Hi Chicinwellies - I can't answer your questions, but I'm thinking about setting up freelancing in this area myself so am watching with interest.

I have contacted a couple of location free publications & newsletters about voluntary proofreading for them & also done some (more copy editing really) for an online publication who advertised on Gumtree. I don't think I'll do much more for them though as the spelling, grammar & punctuation was atrocious! Good practice though I suppose.

I'd second the advice above about Louise Harnby's website - there is a lot of good info on there. I'm also going to try & go along to the next regional meeting of the SfEP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now