chasing payment

(7 Posts)
LaLoose Thu 30-Jan-14 13:35:13

For the first time in six years' freelancing I've had a client not pay up angry. He has now stopped replying to my emails as well. I can't afford not to be paid; it is a significant amount (to me).

So, should I chalk it up to experience, or (as DH thinks) hire a debt collection agency?

Any advice or experiences shared would be very gratefully received!

enriquetheringbearinglizard Thu 30-Jan-14 19:30:53

No experience sorry, but depending on the amount, and where you're located, how about the small claims court?

These links might help you
www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/law_e/law_legal_system_e/law_taking_legal_action_e/small_claims.htm#h_types_of_case_dealt_with_in_the_small_claims_track
https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

Good Luck.

PlasmaBall Thu 30-Jan-14 19:45:50

If a debt collection agency is feasible I would definitely do that. I couldn't just let it go, it just wouldn't be right to let them get away with it.

Bankholidaybaby Thu 30-Jan-14 20:14:00

Definitely use an agency. I use Brookes Bates Partnership. Prior to that, I used to do the hassling myself and it would make me so upset. They charge a fee, but you have to decide how much your time wasted in chasing late payers is worth.

Bankholidaybaby Thu 30-Jan-14 20:15:09

They only charge based on what they recover for you - no payment, no fee.

LaLoose Fri 31-Jan-14 15:26:36

Thanks all x

fascicle Sat 22-Feb-14 14:47:21

You could use a debt collection agency, or you could up the level of contact yourself - by phone and letter as well as e-mail - essentially what a debt collection agency will do in the pre-legal phase. Some people will respond to persistence, recoginsising that you are not going to go away. That said, do you know anything about your debtor's finances? It would be useful to know why he isn't paying - is it because he has no funds, or doesn't want to? Even if someone pleads poverty, a starting point is to get them to agree some form of payment plan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now