Charging fees to charity

(6 Posts)
twentyten Mon 27-Jan-14 13:02:03

Hi.I work for several commercial customers and have also been using my business skills volunteering with a large local charity(because I think the MD is brilliant).
A director of the commercial arm has asked me to meet to discuss working with them on a paid basis if I am already doing my bit as a volunteer.
Anyone done this?
What should I charge?A propostion of my commercial rate?Anyone do consultancy for charities?
Many thanks!

Middleagedmotheroftwo Mon 27-Jan-14 13:05:16

I would charge them your usual rate. Charities are businesses too.

TalkinPeace Mon 27-Jan-14 14:15:37

charities pay their staff
often a lot
they pay their suppliers too

MrsMargoLeadbetter Mon 27-Jan-14 15:20:01

I used to work for a charity, we paid anything from £400 to £1000 a day depending on the skills/what was being delivered.

You might be able to gain some insight into their spending from their accounts or annual report on the Charity Commission website.

I would present your normal fee and maybe be willing to reduce a little as they are a charity. When I worked for the charity (as above) I never accepted the first price a supplier gave, I'd always try to get them down!

Good luck, great your volunteering is being repaid by the chance of a paid opp (not that is why you did it I am sure, but even so).

twentyten Mon 27-Jan-14 16:07:04

Thank you all for your responses-really helpful. I'm glad they are interested in paid stuff-clients always value what they pay for more than freebies!
Good for the CV too.Thanks again!

jonnyelwyn Sun 16-Feb-14 09:56:35

I agree, either charge the usual rate. Or present the usual rate and offer a discount on that.

Although if you've been helping the MD, maybe you already have sense of their financial position?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now