Getting a DBS (CRB) check when self employed?

(13 Posts)
Coconutfeet Sat 11-Jan-14 20:42:15

I am a teacher considering going it alone and setting up classes locally. I have been looking into getting a DBS (was CRB) check done but am unsure how to do this as individuals can't check themselves and I'm not part of an organisation. I have heard that there are umbrella bodies who will do these on your behalf. Can anyone recommend any or tell me how they managed it?

I am not self em ployed but we use Capita which I found really easy.

mrs2cats Sun 12-Jan-14 16:48:29

When I was self employed, I used a company called Ship Shape CRB. They were very efficient.

shipshapecrb.com/

mrs2cats Sun 12-Jan-14 16:51:54

Forgot to say - if you're thinking of doing sessions in schools, you may need to contact your LA. Although I had 100 CRBs (maybe a slight exaggeration wink), they still wanted to do one themselves and I had to go on their schools database as a person authorised to go into schools in that LA, CRB checked etc etc.

Coconutfeet Sun 12-Jan-14 20:19:46

Thanks very much for these suggestions. Will check them out, and also see whether the LA needs to put me on file. Very helpful. smile

TalkinPeace Wed 15-Jan-14 21:25:18

NB under the current guidance on the DBS, anybody visiting differnt schools on an irregular basis does not need a check

and schools need constant reminding that sight of a CRB purchased for somebody else is irrelevant to them

and in fact the whole CRB / DBS system is still a dogs dinner that would not have stopped the case that caused it to be set up

Coconutfeet Thu 16-Jan-14 13:37:14

I will be doing private tuition and hopefully doing some after school classes in a local hall initially, (possibly doing school sessions at a later date) I hope, so parents will want to see evidence of a check. I agree that the system is very imperfect though.

Mrs- I looked at ship shape but they don't seem to have updated to refer to the DBS check on their site and there was no answer when I tried calling. How long ago did you use them.

Will look at Capita but any other suggestions gratefully received.

MagratGarlik Thu 16-Jan-14 14:01:24

I am a member of the Tutors Association - a newly formed professional body who were set up with the aim of providing more regulation to the tuition industry. You must sign up to their code of conduct, provide proof of qualifications, experience, client and personal references etc. If there are disputes between you and a client, it gives the client a body who will deal with complaints etc (hopefully not necessary!). However, they also act as an umbrella body to provide DBS checks for tutors and you can get discounted professional liability insurance, accounting services etc.

The link is thetutorsassociation.org.uk/

Coconutfeet Thu 16-Jan-14 14:26:54

That looks really interesting and could be just what I need. Thank you very much. I will investigate once the children are asleep.

mrs2cats Wed 29-Jan-14 14:18:40

Sorry Cocounut, just got back to this and noticed your question. I used the company about 2/3 years ago so things might be different now.

Hope you're now sorted.

littlebluedog12 Wed 12-Feb-14 09:44:35

Coconut, just wondering if you managed to sort it out in the end? I am in the process of setting up an after school language club at DD's school and would eventually like to roll it out to other schools, so I have the same issue!

irisgrey Wed 12-Feb-14 09:52:47

Nowadays you can register online (you pay a small amount) when you have had a DBS check and any organisation that needs to see a certificate can look it up and see if anything has been added since it was done. You don't have to keep getting new checks from scratch for each organisation.

littlebluedog12 Wed 12-Feb-14 10:28:32

Ah ok good to know! Forgot to mention, like the OP I already have a CRB from a different school where I was a TA, but I was under the impression that one wouldn't count and I would need to get a new one. I will investigate the new DBS checks, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now