I really want to change careers but need approx £400 a month

(10 Posts)
updownallaround Wed 20-Nov-13 14:51:30

I am stranded in the village where I live as we only have 1 car which dh uses during the week. 2 dc at school so needs to be school hours otherwise I will have to pay childcare so home based work would be best. I am currently a childminder but don't think I can maintain this constant on the goness!

notagiraffe Wed 20-Nov-13 20:44:54

What about being a TA, dinner lady or playground supervisor in your local school?

Or, if you have the skills, offering to run a private lunchtime club at school, such as French, Art, Science etc. Depends how wealthy the area is that you live in, but round here parents happily pay £5-10 for a lunch time club, so if you had a handful of children 2-3 times a week, you'd make enough, after you'd paid the school for the use of the room, and shelled out for resources.

From home round here people run hairdressing services, dog grooming, dog walking/pet sitting, editing, translation, book-keeping, cake making, jewellery making, academic and music tutoring, ironing, physio, curtain making, upholstery - anything where people come to you rather than you having to go to them.

Sarahf2004 Mon 25-Nov-13 19:36:56

I worked as a childminder for approximately 8 years full time and then went part time and just did before and after school. I finally gave up childminding in August this year, mainly because I had had enough of looking after other peoples children and my youngest started school full time. For the last 18 months I have also been combining it with catalogue distribution and network marketing, I absolutely love it, I still get to meet lots of people and it is completely flexible as far as my kids are concerned, for example today was an inset day and it was no issue at all. I am now earning between £400-600 every 4 weeks and I am planning on taking this a lot further. I do most my retail on a bike as its cheaper than a car and faster than foot. I also lost 2 stone when I first started, bonus!! lol. If you fancy finding out more then just send me a private message.

annhathaway Tue 26-Nov-13 15:39:13

You need to think about your qualifications and pre children work experience- what are they?

Is it something you could return to if you had a car? A car need not be expensive- a banger to get you from a to b could be had for under £1K quite easily.

There is loads of work people do from home around kids but it depends what you are qualified to do- eg accountant, book keeper, writer, PR, tutoring, arts and crafts, sewing, cleaning, ironing, dog walking, .......

Golddigger Tue 26-Nov-13 15:41:31

Cleaners and gardners always seem in short supply in my somewhat rural area.

Golddigger Tue 26-Nov-13 15:42:36

Avon lady
Helping out retired people with all sorts?

shadesofgreen Tue 26-Nov-13 19:37:38

What are your interests & hobbies?

BapsOfPlenty Tue 26-Nov-13 19:56:16

What are you good at, or what do you like doing? It's much easier to do something you're enthusiastic about if you're thinking of being self employed.

I'm also with a network marketing company, so work from home p/t. I much prefer it to my p/t employed job. I genuinely like the products I sell, and was using some of them even before I found out I could earn money from waffling on about them! It fits around my 2 yo, and can be done in person or online depending on how you'd like to work. I don't think I'm supposed to mention which one I'm with but you are welcome to send me a message if you would like more info.

Also agree that cleaners and gardeners are often in demand too, particularly if there are a lot of older people in your local area (though the lack of car might be an issue).

shadesofgreen Tue 26-Nov-13 20:12:07

BapsOfPlenty is right network marketing works really well if you want to work flexibly around your family commitments.

MoCox Tue 19-Aug-14 20:48:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now