Should I rename?

(8 Posts)
MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 08-Nov-13 08:15:49

Would be interested in views.

I started nearly 3 years ago as a marketing freelancer. At the time I wasn't sure if I was going to help SMEs or my niche which I'll call 'Insurance body marketing' for this post. So I called myself something like 'Happy Consulting' as a generic name and it reflects my personality.

Currently having a new site designed. Having worked out that my niche is what I want to promote, the new site will reflect this.

Went to a niche event yesterday and received a few 'What does Happy Consulting' mean? It made me think should I change my name to something more obvious like 'Insurance Marketing Solutions' or whatever isn't being used? A much larger competitor has recently re-branded and added 'Insurance Marketing' to their name, so it made me think maybe I need to be more 'does what it says on the tin'.

I am a sole trader so changing my 'trading name' isn't like having to change a registered company name.

It isn't like I have a well known brand within my niche, I have worked with c40 clients I guess, so changing is possible. However, as an individual I think most of my marketing will be direct approaches rather than wider brand awareness stuff so maybe it really doesn't matter. And 'Happy Consulting' is a bit of a talking point although maybe not in a good way if it isn't clear!

What do you think?

flowery Fri 08-Nov-13 10:43:53

Oh don't call yourself something boring like Insurance Marketing Solutions. Stand out from the crowd! You can have insurance marketing splurged all over your website and integrated into your SEO, but I don't like boring generic names. I want marketing people to be creative, and Insurance Marketing Solutions or whatever doesn't give that impression to me... Have a name that says something about you.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 08-Nov-13 14:49:00

That is a good point, thanks flowery. I do wonder if there a more obvious yet creative option out there. I'll have a think.

Punkatheart Fri 08-Nov-13 21:08:25

Agree with flowery. Dull dull dull? Make it positive. Even pay a couple of people to brainstorm for you. I do this for a friend who works for an advertising agency - she gives me the spec and I come up with a name. It's great fun but the point is, you might need another mind on the job. Always consider the initials too - I have seen some unfortunate names!

WilsonFrickett Sat 09-Nov-13 18:26:11

The thing is how people find you. If you get most of your clients through google search for example, it doesn't matter what your name is - they will trust that if they have searched Insurance Marketing and Happy Consulting comes up then Happy Consulting is an insurance marketing company.

If it's face to face or cold calls then yes, you may want something more descriptive. But I also agree with standing out from the crowd.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 17-Nov-13 15:55:15

Thanks all.

I think I am going to stick with what I have but make the reasoning more of a focus on the website.

Saffra Sun 17-Nov-13 21:17:09

Have you thought about adding a tagline? Maybe one that can be both creative and descriptive?

Saffra Sun 17-Nov-13 21:18:56

Much more cost effective (as no full rebranding exercise required) and builds in flexibility to work in different sectors in future).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now