Childminding...

(3 Posts)
Tw1nkle Sat 02-Nov-13 08:43:48

Hi,

I was made redundant in September and am having a re-think about my career options.

I have a DD who started school in September, so I really don't want a 9-5 job any more!

I love kiddies and am seriously thinking about registering as a childminder.

I totally understand that all the baby things will need to come back out of the loft, and the house will be turned into a 'kiddies playroom' again, and that's fine.

Does anyone have any advice?
How easy is it to get people to use you?
I'm not planning on starting until next spring, so I'm going to get properly registered and take a couple of courses too.
It is reasonable to take the children on the school runs?

Thank you.

asandwichshort Sat 02-Nov-13 23:12:17

I was a childminder in 1987 for a while and re registered in 2004 (what a difference!) and have since abandoned the whole thing. My reason for being a childminder was to provide a "home from home" for my charges and i did a bloody good job but Ofsted regulations and expectations got in the way. Please check this out before you make the commitment. If you go ahead - Yes - its fine to take the mindees on the school run - although hectic! Sorry if i seem jaded but i'm old school and don't fit into the new regime of targets for EYFS etc etc. As a parent I just would want my child to be happy and secure in the child care environment not solely attaining targets! Sorry Rant over!! Feels good!!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 03-Nov-13 13:38:23

OP I'd post on the childminding thread too if you haven't. Lots of current CMs on there.

Also our local council offers free intro sessions where you could go along and find out about the reality of childminding which as asandwhich outlines can be challenging. Worth checking that out in your area if that is the case.

I am in East London and I get the sense there aren't enough CMs, so I'd say demand depends on the area.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now