Opinions on Art for self employed idea

(7 Posts)
newbiemum13 Fri 01-Nov-13 13:53:53

I have just had my first baby and designed some wall art for his nursery. Someone suggested I try to sell online so I opened an etsy page and started a Facebook page. Although I've had lots of views on etsy so far no sales. I am thinking about some other designs so I posted on Facebook to ask what kinds of things people would want to see on their children's walls etc. so far I haven't had any responses. I want to design things that people would want to see. I've started a caterpillar because I thought that was different! I am also doing a design with sun, apple tree, pig, sheep and cow. I'd rather spend the time designing things people would want to see. Any preferences on things eg animals etc would be very much appreciated.

m0nkeynuts Fri 01-Nov-13 14:19:45

Have you looked on any other FB pages where people are making & selling children's wall art? Pretty much all of the artists I follow on Facebook mark photos of their items as 'SOLD' when someone buys them, so it might let you see which themes are particularly popular.

Is it possible to search sold listings on Etsy, in the way you can on Ebay? Might be worth checking into that too.

Not suggesting you copy designs obviously - and you clearly have plenty of ideas of your own so I'm sure you wouldn't! Just thinking of ways to identify current trends.

Also, is there a way to work a child's name into your pictures? Personalised products are often quite popular when it's for kids.

newbiemum13 Fri 01-Nov-13 14:42:55

Thanks that's a great idea!

Talkinpeace Tue 05-Nov-13 21:21:51

MASSIVELY competitive market stuffed to the roof with professional artists on career breaks
if you get an "edge" you have about 6 months till the majors copy it

FriendlyLadybird Sat 09-Nov-13 11:41:54

It's really, really, really, really, really difficult to sell any type of art online. If you're good, you could try other ways to market, but even professional galleries and studios struggle to sell online.

m0nkeynuts Sat 09-Nov-13 14:20:35

Social media - Facebook in particular - has created great opportunities to sell lower-price art online. I 'like' several artists on Facebook and watch them hold regular or occasional 'sales' of their work.

They create a sale album of photos and list the price of each piece. First to comment 'SOLD' on a photo gets to buy it. Products are usually in the price range of £20-£90 (higher ticket items are sold elsewhere).

Quite fascinating to watch the frenzy - and to see how disappointed people are when they miss out. Having a limited number of items for sale each time employs the old marketing tactic of suggesting scarcity - hence the resulting frenzy.

Last night I watched an artist do her first ever sale of work on FB and raise more than £800 of sales in 20 minutes. She has just over 2,000 followers so clearly some work has gone into building her brand, but I've seen artists with far fewer followers regularly sell £100-£300 in a matter of minutes with their flash sales as well.

I've seen this FB tactic used successfully with all manner of handmade products too, not just paintings.

Not suggesting it's dead easy - these artists have worked really hard to get to where they are. But - as with any business - if you DO put the effort into building your brand and creating a loyal following (this is the tricky bit!), it can be done. You do have to be really serious about putting the time in for the long haul though, as it won't happen overnight. The most successful artists I follow have been posting regularly on FB for at least a year and they've worked hard to get their personalities across in their posts.

The artists I follow all do shout outs for each other too, so it's worth doing some networking to get your name out there. Giveaways to celebrate reaching particular follower counts always seem to be popular too. Look at the successful artists on Facebook and study their methods!

Talkinpeace Sat 09-Nov-13 14:30:10

m0nkeynuts
thankyou - you've just given me a great idea to help out a friend .....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now