Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

How to advertise private tuition

(13 Posts)
Worriedkat Tue 29-Oct-13 19:33:15

My husband is a teacher currently working in a secondary school (small town in the south east). He is hoping to start tutoring in the evenings /weekends.

I will place ads in the local newsletters in our town, any other ideas how to advertise? Through local secondary schools (how?), or through the internet?

Any ideas gratefully received

Kat

grants1000 Wed 30-Oct-13 17:44:09

Library?

Schools might have a noticeboard you could put a flyer up on.

Local paper.

Local parent mags Little Tigers, Mums and Dads magazine.

bluesky Wed 30-Oct-13 17:46:00

Local paper shops or post office notice boards

I have a website but find most of my tutees come through big tutoring websites like First Tutors.

twentyten Fri 01-Nov-13 18:10:28

Hi. Unethical to tutor pupils from his own school- does he have contacts in other local schools? Teachers are often asked for suggested tutors. Bookshops?
Good luck !

doubletrouble9 Fri 01-Nov-13 19:08:07

i do it and get a lot of referals through uk tutors website, you and they pay a small fee to exchange contacts so you know they are serious, in fact im having to turn work down

If there is is a community facebook group for parents it is worth using that. A very easy way to pick up tutees. Then when he has a few recommendations will fill a lot of his gaps.

shurkerworker Tue 05-Nov-13 12:57:30

word of mouth is best once he gets going.
Parish magazines
Local shops and post offices
A cheap website is a good way and some counties have their own community sections of their website which includes tutoring where he could advertise.

Talkinpeace Tue 05-Nov-13 21:18:50

Word of mouth every time.
The tutor I used for DS does not advertise in any way shape or form.

For that matter I do not advertise either

Worriedkat Wed 13-Nov-13 21:04:45

He won't be tutoring kids from his own school as he works in a school the other end of the county. Why is it unethical, out of interest?

Does he have to phone the tax office, or do we wait until we actually know he will get some income from this?

Talkinpeace Wed 13-Nov-13 21:13:51

worriedkat
tutoring kids from own school - ethics - knowing what homework / strategy / staff changes are coming

tax and stuff : you are meant to register as soon as he starts hawking for work, but in reality as soon as the first booking is taken..
The guide I have written for ebayers covers the basics
members.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=talkinpeace
NB every penny of profit he makes will be taxable at incremental rate, but its amazing how little one can make when self employed wink

juliawesty Fri 11-Apr-14 11:04:05

Register with... www.tutorshunt.com, www.astartuition.com or www.cloistertutoring.co.uk.....heard good things about all 3.... theyre free to register sort out your dbs and cut out a lot of the hassle of DIY

meenhaz Tue 17-Mar-15 23:09:37

i am opening a tuition centre for key stage 3 and 11+ have a look www.advancedtuition.org

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now