How much to charge for typing

(8 Posts)
moogalicious Wed 23-Oct-13 14:12:40

I have a client who wants me to type up a booklet from hard copy so he has an electronic version, but I have no idea what to charge. I type at about 50wpm, so 3000 words per hour. Should I charge per word or per hour and how much?

TIA

WilsonFrickett Wed 23-Oct-13 16:48:14
moogalicious Wed 23-Oct-13 17:14:44

Thanks - I saw that while I was researching. They seem quite expensive but I noticed rates vary from £3.50 - £9 per 1000 words. As this is a typed booklet with no proofing or layout to do, I was thinking £4/1000 words which would give me £12/hour pay.

Do you think I'm underselling myself - I'm so crap at charging!

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 23-Oct-13 18:04:05

An obvious point, but have you seen the hard copy? It could be poorly laid out or hard to read if it a dog-eared only hard copy etc? Or full of obscure words etc.

Does your 50wpm include reading what you have done to ensure it is correct? Not doubting your typing proficiency but I guess you'd need to read it back?

Is this a regular client? What else do you do for them and at what rate? I think £12 an hour sounds low for any freelancer. Allowing 20% of tax etc that is actually £9.60 an hour...Most I know (doing a range of things) charge from £15 upwards.

If you can I'd up it to £15 and give an estimate of the time it will take but ask for hourly pay. I pay £15 per hour for VA services, if it was me I'd just assume/trust that she'll do the typing as quickly as she can and charge me accordingly.

However, it is very easy for me to tell you what to do. I find estimating very difficult and often lose out!

Good luck.

moogalicious Wed 23-Oct-13 18:55:31

Thanks Margo. I'm seeing the hard copy tomorrow, so I will be able to judge the quality and will adjust my price accordingly.

Yes I would read it back and check it, so that would add more time to my 3000 words per hour - thanks for the tip! I need to factor that in.

I don't earn enough for tax, so that £12/hour would be mine. I charge by the hour for normal secretarial services but don't think this is the done thing for typing.

WilsonFrickett Wed 23-Oct-13 19:28:54

It's not expensive, it's the rate grin if the range is 3.50 - 9 then you are definitely underselling yourself at £4.

WilsonFrickett Wed 23-Oct-13 19:29:57

Gah, I am pressing too soon on everything today!

Although of course you should wait and see the booklet first. It may not have that many words, so charging by the 1000 may mean you don't earn very much at all!

moogalicious Wed 23-Oct-13 19:52:07

I know, I know grin. I just don't want to price myself out of a job!I think I'll base it on 3000 words/hour plus 15 mins checking per hour and take it from there, depending on quality, formatting required etc.

If it's a small 1000 booklet, which wouldn't take that long, I need to have a minimum price I guess. I would normally round up my hours, so a job that takes 5 mins I would charge an hour for otherwise it's not worth me doing it.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

It would also be good to hear from someone who does this too? Anyone out there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now