Withdrawing a proposal to potential client

(8 Posts)

Is it really bad form to withdraw a proposal to a prospective client? And if not, how best to do this politely and appropriately?

Basically, I had a number of business development meetings and proposals go out all within a couple of weeks and more came back positive than I thought - which is great news, but means I am totally at capacity.

With this one opportunity I now want to get out of, I had a call with the client and it didn't go especially well, I am not that bothered about the work (not very interesting), I have no personal connection to them, and would be at a lower daily rate to the other work, so I want to pull out. (The others are better paid, and acquired through contacts I have).

Is it OK just to email them saying that I am having to pull out due to capacity issues and wish them all the best in finding someone to do the work? Not had to do this before (bit of a luxury I guess!) so any advice really appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

christinarossetti Mon 21-Oct-13 21:59:15

I wouldn't because I don't like letting people down and it would make me feel disorganised. Also, you never know when you might need them again...

No idea what the etiquette is though.

mojojomo Mon 21-Oct-13 22:06:33

Unless the client has a fixed deadline that you can't achieve I'd try to accommodate them. Without knowing your sector and expertise it's hard to alleviate the situation. If it's a small world in your line of business of be reluctant to foster negative feedback. Can you chalk it up to experience and fit it all in?

mojojomo Mon 21-Oct-13 22:08:05

Alleviate? Appreciate.
of be - I'd be.
predictive text - predictable fecked

TheDoctrineOfSpike Mon 21-Oct-13 22:11:39

I think it's more professional to say you don't have the capacity - can you suggest anyone else or tell them you can do the project at a different time.

Thanks all. I work in the charity sector which is small enough to have reputational risk, so I am tempted to just hang on in and see... (they haven't yet agreed the work, so it may be they choose someone else anyway!). I could squeeze it in, but just don't really want to! And they aren't being flexible around timings (tried that). Hmmm... Will sleep on it!

christinarossetti Mon 21-Oct-13 22:51:21

Oh, I didn't realise that they hadn't actually contracted you for the work yet and that there are others in the pipeline.

In that case, I think it's fine to e-mail them as you said.

WilsonFrickett Wed 23-Oct-13 16:49:17

Oh if they haven't contracted you yet I'd not do anything. It may come to nothing, it may come to something in 3 months' time when you have capacity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now