Becoming a self employed book keeper - help!

(4 Posts)
Robynio Mon 21-Oct-13 21:09:02

I'm hoping to start my own business as a self employed book keeper and I don't know where to start!confused
Is there anyone out there who can give me some advice?
I completed AAT back in 2004, I've worked in finance for the last 15 years and I am slowly chipping my way through ACCA, I just have one exam to go now.
I am now a mum of two they are both under 3 and I want a job I can fit around my family.

I am expecting to prepare accounts, cash flow and financial statements, complete tax returns and happy to do everything in between

Does anyone know whether......
- I need a licence
- I have any other legal requirements
- I should become a sole trader or a limited company
- I need insurance
- is there anything else I need to know

Any advice or even a point in the right direction would be much appreciated

Thank you

SacreBlue Mon 21-Oct-13 21:21:58

Giving you a bump smile

I am not in your line but being only a few years s/e one of things I look forward to is getting a bookkeeper! I went sole trader as it seemed simplest for me & I took out insurance in line with my work, part of it is training and I was advised not to give financial advice without insurance specific to that so I am pretty sure you will need insurance specific to you.

I hope someone in bookkeeping can come along shortly & advise you - best of luck, I have had a few wobbles learning curves difficult client tonight being one but I would not give it up for the world.

Baabaapinksheep Mon 21-Oct-13 21:31:36

As you are a member if the aat you should register as a member I am practice, you will also need to take out professional indemnity insurance.

Much easier to trade as a sole trader than a limited company to start with IMO.

Baabaapinksheep Mon 21-Oct-13 21:32:15

Member in practice*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now