Any singing/voice teachers out there?

(7 Posts)
lucysnowe Wed 16-Oct-13 10:26:16

Hi all

I would like to train to be a singing teacher... I have a pretty good voice, know all the basics re breathing etc, have been in lots of choirs, can sightread piano well enough to accompany someone, have Grade 8 singing and Grade 6 theory (a long time ago...!) but I know lots more qualifications etc are expected these days.

Can you give me some advice as to what I would need to do?

TIA smile

WilsonFrickett Mon 21-Oct-13 11:59:58

Honestly? As a parent, I'd expect you to be a qualified music teacher. That's not me answering with my 'freelance board' hat on, iyswim, it's more than possible others will pop up with practical advice/another pov but if I was paying you to teach singing to my child then I would expect either full qualifications or significant professional experience.

Sorry, not sure that's hugely helpful...

lucysnowe Thu 24-Oct-13 21:03:16

Hi Wilson

Thankyou :-) when you say qualified, do you mean a degree? There is a diploma I can do but not white the same.

This is helpful, appreciate it!

Clobbered Thu 24-Oct-13 21:04:39

How about the ABRSM courses? They do various ones from introductory courses, online stuff, to full CTABRSM plus course that leads to a teaching diploma.

lucysnowe Fri 25-Oct-13 12:13:25

Hi Clobbered

Those are the ones I was looking at, thankyou. smile Have you done one?

Clobbered Fri 25-Oct-13 22:16:01

I did CT course a while ago and it was very good, would definitely recommend it. I did the DipABRSM about 6 months later and it wasn't too much of a stretch (and I got an exemption from the written part for having done the CT) - I think you can do both together now. It was great for networking and getting ideas from other teachers and my tutor was fab too. Go for it!

lucysnowe Mon 28-Oct-13 18:50:20

Thank you Clobbered for the encouragement :-) I'll look into it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now