How do I register as self employed?

(6 Posts)

I have been going round in circles on the HMRC website for the past hour and cannot find the sodding answer. Can't get through to a human on the phones either.

I am a nanny, I have just started doing ad-hoc bits on top of my two employed positions. I keep going to the "Register for taxes" but then it tells me not to if I am not a business. Am I technically a business or is do I have to sign up for self assessment only? I don't understand and I'm getting really frustrated with the stupid HMRC website which is not giving me any answers.

Talkinpeace Fri 11-Oct-13 18:00:13

Have a read through the page for self employed that I wrote for ebayers ....
the link you need is in box 3

once you have a self assessment UTR you fill out the pages you need from the return

Thank you for the link smile It's very informative!

I'm not sure I've done it right now confused I called them up to clarify and was told that I only need to register for a self assessment? Is this right?

LifeofPo Wed 16-Oct-13 08:59:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Okay, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now