Virtual Assistant?

(5 Posts)
MyNameIsAnAnagram Thu 10-Oct-13 13:52:22

Is anyone a VA? I'm on mat leave at the moment and am considering my options for various reasons, and this is one of them.

How did you get started? I've seen a few agencies did you just sign up to one, or advertise on your own or both? I don't need to earn loads luckily, maybe £500/month. I would be doing it part time. Did you get work pretty quickly or would I need to start setting up now (due to go back in the new year)

I may be back to ask more qs!

moogalicious Thu 10-Oct-13 14:04:06

Kind of. I did a bookkeeping course a couple of years ago and have branched into VA work as well as bookkeeping. Most of my work is done for one client and I do a range of stuff, from general admin to VAT returns and payroll.

I have advertised but have only had one client through this (audio typing). Otherwise it's been a gradual build up of work via recommendations. I have a couple more clients in the pipeline too.

I earn between £200 to £700 a month. I have an office at home, which I think is a must. I can't work when the kids are at home as they are too distracting so most of my work is done between 9am and 2pm plus evening once the kids are in bed/DH is home.

I don't know if you are considering working while you have a newborn, but I don't think you can work from home with children around. You need childcare for sure!

moogalicious Thu 10-Oct-13 14:04:53

Meant to say, if I was more proactive with my advertising I could probably get more work.

MyNameIsAnAnagram Thu 10-Oct-13 14:19:32

Yes I would have childcare, I tried wfh a few times with ds1 (very good at self entertainment ) and it was a nightmare, def couldn't do it with ds2 who is a totally different baby!

Where have you advertised?

moogalicious Thu 10-Oct-13 14:31:07

Just yell.com and thomson. I keep meaning to do cards and flyers, as I could really boost my income then.

I started when I was offered work about 2 hours a week via a friend and it's grown from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now