Just underpriced myself despite my best intentions - so annoyed with myself!

(3 Posts)
ManicMinor Thu 19-Sep-13 13:16:28

I've just set up as a freelancer, and have a pretty good view of the market because I use to sit on the other side of the table and buy in the sorts of skills I am now selling.

So, first piece of design work has come in, quick chat over the phone to discuss scope, time taken and cost - and despite having decided what I would ask for, I knocked £50 off the daily rate i quoted through a lack of confidence - then got a 'oh, that's well within our budget' in response. And I could well get more of this kind of work with them, and I've started off too low. Grrrr!

Just needed to vent!!

AgnesBligg Thu 19-Sep-13 14:50:41

That's the kind of thing I would do. Never mind, you got the work! I expect I would suck it up for now but when the next job comes up carefully explain to them your 'new client discount' which, oh dear, you see has run out and slap the fifty back on. Good luck.

armadillosocial Thu 10-Oct-13 12:09:48

Don't worry - everybody does it. I think it's almost inevitable in the early stages.

As you get more work, you become more confidant about your charges as you are not so 'desperate' for the work.

Also, if it is regular work then a discount is just good business sense grin.

Just be careful not to price yourself so low that they think you are a 'budget' option and want something more expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now