How long did it take you to earn a profit as a self employed person?

(4 Posts)
DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 26-Sep-13 14:32:29

DH left his employers in spring 2011 to go self employed. He agrees it is tough the first 12 months but providing your clients know where you are and are prompt payers, you should find things pick up in the second year.

He enjoys the independence and variety and does not regret going solo. He is by nature organised and industrious and tempting as it is to have a full diary, doesn't over-commit.

ColinFirthsGirth Thu 19-Sep-13 19:08:34

Thanks Nickelbabe!

nickelbabe Wed 18-Sep-13 16:28:22

your aim is 3 years.
first year, loss (because of start-up costs)
2nd year break even (because you've recouped most of your start-up costs but not got enough to make any extra money)
3rd year, profit (because all that's left is running costs)

provided your location, networking and "advertising" is good, you should build up a client base in that time.

ColinFirthsGirth Wed 18-Sep-13 16:25:54

Hi,

I need abit of encouragement that I am on the right track. I have been in business since March - so very early days - I now have enough clients to cover the room I rent (I am in complementary therapies) but and I am slowly getting more clients. I know that it can take 3-5 years to really build up a good client base i my industry, however I have never been more skint and it is hard to remain positive 100% of the time - although I am generally a pretty positive person!

How long did it take you to build up a good client base and make a profit? Any encouragement would also be appreciated.
Thankyou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now