How to get premises for art studio for kids?

(5 Posts)
Leo12345 Thu 15-Aug-13 10:16:59

Morning all!

I've organized an art studio for children in our flat in Surbiton (Kingston-Upon-Thames), where I teach painting, sculpture, crafts-making to children in groups.

But I think of expanding and wonder: is it possible at all to ask the council or other public body/school to provide premises for my studio?
I mean, if not for free, than for some reduced payment, as hiring studio in our district is really expensive.

Has anybody had an experience with asking council/school/church? for place/studio? How would I approach to this?

Would appreciate any help!

WilsonFrickett Thu 15-Aug-13 10:41:07

Council you would be seen as a commercial let (you are running a business, it doesn't really matter that it's aimed at kids), so I would start with church halls and community centres. School lets are tricky - I'm in Scotland so maybe not the same - but schools are now only doing lets 3 evenings a week to cut back on janitorial overtime in my LA.

Any arts centres nearby? Places with cafes attached may be good as you could suggest the parents may stick around to drink coffee, so boosting their revenue. But you won't get anything for nothing unless you're providing your services as a charity. And even then I wouldn't expect things to be free.

Leo12345 Fri 16-Aug-13 10:46:57

WilsonFrickett, many thanks for this!

Actually caffes I don't think would suit, as we paint, make sculptures from clay etc. - pretty dirty.

Just wanted to ask: how is it to provide service as a charity: should I register my business as a charity? Should I pay anything to charities?

My aim is to teach children and get payment for my work.

WilsonFrickett Fri 16-Aug-13 12:00:10

If you get payment for your work you aren't and can't be a charity. It's really as simple as that.

afaik to set up as a charity is fairly complex, but in essence you'd have to teach for free (so the classes themselves are 'the charity'). You can teach and donate your profits to an established charity, but in that case you wouldn't 'be' the charity. But essentially you cannot profit.

Leo12345 Fri 16-Aug-13 16:56:45

Wow! That reminds me of my distant (in space & time) motherland Soviet Union and of the dream about the comunist society. Who could imagine that it will be fulfilled in England?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now