If I earn money during my 'keeping in touch' days, does it affect my SMP?

(8 Posts)
snottagecheese Tue 13-Aug-13 17:22:47

Just that, basically. I'd like to take on a job which will take me 3-4 days to complete and I would invoice for about £400. Would HMRC deduct money from my SMP payments, since it's not just a question of sending some emails/attending meetings etc, but actually generating income?

Thanks in advance!

Talkinpeace Tue 13-Aug-13 20:46:22

make the invoice date after your smp runs out

snottagecheese Tue 13-Aug-13 21:04:00

Thanks, but unfortunately that isn't really an option, for various reasons. I'd just like to know if I can legitimately claim the income while being paid SMP.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Tue 13-Aug-13 21:11:21

It's fine. I did 4 days work while receiving maternity allowance. I called hmrc to let them know. It doesn't matter how much money you earn on the days as long as you don't exceed your number of overall KIT days. (I invoiced 4K -not usual btw!) The lady I spoke to said to make a note of the days I worked and when I got to 7/8 days to give them another call.

Definitely worth ringing them too as may be different for SMP to MA and I think they like to know but don't worry about it!

superbagpuss Tue 13-Aug-13 21:13:34

I worked ten kit days with my SMP being affected, I think thats the maximum

snottagecheese Tue 13-Aug-13 21:38:16

Yes, sorry, I do mean MA and not SMP - so it seems I'm in the same boat as Gunpowder was. Excellent! I can earn some cash, hurrah (sorely needed at the moment!) Thanks all.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 13-Aug-13 22:00:12

DWP told me not to ring until I'd done the 10 days ie they don't want any info/detail. At that point they'd stop the MA.

You need to keep a note of the days should they ask.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Tue 13-Aug-13 23:24:11

Hurrah! Yep I was worried too and didn't want my MA to stop, even though I was pleased I had work.

Good luck with your KIT days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now