a certain never knowingly undersold shop came knocking
it looked great
till the small print
- 50% discount
- sale or return
- commission taken towards adverts
- right to cut the price at any time
so it never happened

Happy to put you in touch with my mentor or you can google her - Ann Hawkins. She could spend some time with you by skype or phone and help you work out the margins, what you want from it, and how to negotiate on the different aspects. I'm in Comms / PR / Social Media and she's been a big help to me! Google Ann Hawkins Cambridge

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 07-Aug-13 22:02:16

Wow! Sounds good..

Could you try the trade/membership body for your 'sector'? They might have a suppliers/consultants list? Ideally you need somebody who knows your market/situ well rather than a generalist...

Good luck.

ethelb Wed 07-Aug-13 21:09:37

Thanks OldLadyKnows. I have been muttering 'this time next year we will be millionaires all evening at DP'.

There are local business networks and stuff. But the problem is I work full time in my job job so don't have time to attend them. (though was planning to leave in 6 months or so to do this full time, but the past year has been tumultous due to DP job loss. He has a temp job at the moment though he is waiting to hear back from an interview somewhere we want to move that took place earlier this week).

The bank is a good idea. I have a business bank manager, though don't think much of him tbh.

Is there anyone on here that offers business mentoring for retailers/small biz?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 07-Aug-13 20:58:03

Does your local council run business start-up classes? An Enterprise Board or similar, perhaps? Or your bank will probably have business advisors too. Local Chamber of Commerce, Round Table? <may be delving into the realms of fantasy there>

Congratulations, by the way, how very exciting for you! grin

ethelb Wed 07-Aug-13 20:52:34

bump

ethelb Wed 07-Aug-13 19:12:50

Anyone know where I can get a really really good business mentor asap to discuss the feasibility of this and how not to get rinsed by them?

I am v small and make all my own products. Started the business on £1k 8 months ago. I really am a very little fish in what is proving to be a very big pond and have no idea how this stuff works other than watching the Apprentice. Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now