Calling all Social Media consultants - how to find clients

(10 Posts)
CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 06-Aug-13 22:00:52

Congrats, Never! I sent you a PM smile

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 06-Aug-13 21:34:09

Congrats on setting up!

I do a little social media as part of my marketing services. I have found that I have had the most success in securing new clients where my previous experience (both employed and consulting) is relevant to their organisation. That isn't to say you cannot deliver social media for clients in new sectors but before trying new markets do ensure you have tried all the potential clients in your sector/within your existing network etc.

I have dabbled with finding local clients but I have found that a) some of them struggled to understand why they should care about social media - although that could be how I explained it to them! - and b) the money, they simply couldn't afford me/to pay anyone to do it.

I have done a little tailored marketing to local businesses and secured a client out of it, but I could see they had 6 staff so thought they could afford me etc.

There are freelance sites out there (should you not know) where people advertise their 'jobs' for freelancers to bid. I like www.peopleperhour.com. There are often 'jobs' on there for social media management, however the rates offered can be low (min wage per hour). But it could be a way to build a base/experience as a consultant. It is free to bid but you pay commission on the work you get paid for.

Theincidental Tue 06-Aug-13 21:31:02

Anyone can start a tweet up. One of our local ones is absolutely huge and was only started three months ago. It regularly trends across the uk through its hour and has massive benefits for local businesses it introduces o each other and helps to support.

They now have a great community social media website community as well. Extremely brilliant work by them.

Maybe attend a few and take notes first of all to get an idea if how they are doing it.

neveronsunday Tue 06-Aug-13 21:27:06

Thanks

I'm looking into setting up a workshop in a local hotel/ conference place.

There is a tweet up about 20 miles away but they have stopped doing them now and converted into proper training agency.

Can I ask a really dumb question? Is tweetup registered or can anyone start one? eg. Could I start one & give it a different name or could I just start a local tweet up?

Love the idea of the job centre - that's a great thought. Thanks grin

Theincidental Tue 06-Aug-13 21:19:03

I saw n interesting thing on twitter the other day. There's a partnership between the local job centre and a media agency. They ran a workshop with local businesses who are trying to expand and live broadcasted the workshop using them local area hash tags. They set up a new twitter account and then over the course of the workshop raised the account of the new user to 100 followers through tweeting to show how effective twitter could be.

It was a big success... And who do you reckon got all the new clients? Well the media agency! Canny stuff.

Do you have a local or county area tweet up or hour? That's a good place to start too. Lots of new users there.

Paper advertising for social media doesn't really convey your skills and so many are sceptical of the benefits of social media. Free webinars, workshops etc might demonstrate better.

neveronsunday Tue 06-Aug-13 20:54:32

I should say the pamphlet is aimed at consumers but everyone gets a copy so I imagine small business owners would also read it.

neveronsunday Tue 06-Aug-13 20:52:23

Thank you both. I've been doing a bit of research this afternoon.

Yes - I had thought of looking at dormant local accounts.

We also have a local business pamphlet thing which is delivered to every house. I thought I might advertise in it & offer a discount to existing advertisers - do you think that would work?

Theincidental Tue 06-Aug-13 20:43:22

I work in a specific industry so clients come via word of mouth locally. But if I were looking for new business, I'd check out the membership bodies or governing organisations for that sector and then weed through geographically.

I also have loose partnerships with web and graphic designers who refer me to people.

Agree with checking out semi dead social media accounts.

Look for people on social media that clearly have no direction! (Poorly made FB's or quiet business twitters etc)

Ask your clients to recommend your services to their clients. Maybe put in a referral incentive of some sort (discounted premium for a month or something.)

neveronsunday Tue 06-Aug-13 14:32:49

I am setting up as a social media consultant, offering both in-house training and social media mangement.

I've had a few clients through my own contacts - however, what's the best way of finding new clients?

Normally, I would use social media but arguably, if they are already on it they don't need me to do it for them!

I thought about approaching my local chamber of commerce etc but would be grateful for any other advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now