Any freelance businesses editors/writers - advice on quote please!

(7 Posts)
PermaShattered Thu 25-Jul-13 15:13:10

I'm unsure what to quote for an exciting project I've been commissioned to do. This is a first for me.

It's a bi-monthly newsletter for commercial businesses and I'm going to be in charge of collating and editing the content, as well as writing some of it. How much I write will vary each month, and I need to give a reasonable quote. There will be around 10 separate articles of length between 300 and 1000 words (equal split probably). I'm used to quoting per 1000 words (around £350) as the majority of my work is 'pure' writing.

This is a great job as it gives me much greater creativity but don't think i can charge on a per 1000 words basis.

So, if anyone can give me any guidance it would be so much appreciated.

TantieTowie Thu 25-Jul-13 21:53:12

Hi, I edit a business magazine as a freelancer so may be able to help.

Will the other contributors be paid or will they be in-house/doing it for the PR and so supplying free copy? If the former, I'd suggest you come up with a per thousand rate that you'd charge for your written work. Then the editing role would be a separate, per day, rate - because there will be work that's not written but still takes time. Add the two together and that's the quote.

Alternatively, I'd suggest you work out how long it will (realistically) take and give a quote for the whole project based on a day rate.

WilsonFrickett Fri 26-Jul-13 17:27:05

I agree with Tantie, work out how long it will take and charge on an hourly rate. Some months you'll 'win' and some months the clients will, depending on how much editing/rewriting/writing there is to do, but it will probably work itself out.

The Society of Editors website has recommended editing rates if you want to do a comparison with your writing rate.

WilsonFrickett Fri 26-Jul-13 17:27:31

'Charge on a day rate', not an hourly one. School holidays are killing me!

Punkatheart Sat 27-Jul-13 13:04:27

Yes I agree with the day rate. Never panic and charge on the whole job.

Good luck!

NEScribe Mon 29-Jul-13 19:14:14

Not much help maybe but a lot depends on the budget the client has and how keen you are to undertake the project. A few years ago I edited a monthly business magazine and wrote some of the features and although my monthly fee sounded vety good, it was a nightmare. I spent a good part of my time trying to keep the ad sales team happy - they always wanted me to give their big advertisers a plug and regularly appealed to me to ring the advertisers and find a good story to write. Yes, I did sometimes refuse but I worked with these girls and felt obligef to help when I could. Often, they gave advertisers my number - although I asked them repeatedly not to. So, if there will be advertising in the publication, set some ground rules - it was very different to my previous newspaper job and I had no idea back then just how much time you can spend on 'unpaid' work like continually chasing contributors whose work hadn't come in on time, arranging photography and attending team meetings. On the plus side, I made some good business contacts which led to other work in the future.

PermaShattered Mon 29-Jul-13 21:43:06

Thanks so much all, that's very helpful. I'll definitely go with the day rate - that makes sense. (I'm estimating 2 days). Tantie I'll be the only one being paid.

NEScribe there's been no mention of advertisers and I don't think it will be an issue, but if it ever is i'll reread your post! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now