Can I do this?

(6 Posts)

Not sure of the ethics here.

I'm about to start the final year of my masters degree (in Sept) and on my course we've had a lot of international students, and some who are, I can only describe as 'not committed'. Part of their problem stems from not understanding the (detailed) assignment brief, but some of it seems that they don't know how to put together essays and reports.

If I were to offer my services as a 'support service' to such students, and those at lower (HE) levels, I am wondering about the following

a) would I need to discuss/clear with the University first?
b) could I tutor/assist small groups (max 4)?
c) how could I set a sliding scale of charges that would be worth my while but not too expensive for students?

I could tutor up to two at home, larger groups would have to be elsewhere.

SpooMoo Sat 06-Jul-13 18:23:30

Surely if they didn't pass you'd be liable in some way - they might want a refund? And you're not qualified to tutor them in a course you've not yet completed, arguably. You could always befriend them and offer peer support, maybe lead a study group and add it to your CV (no money changing hands!).

Good point, Spoo.

I'm not sure I'd be saying I'd guarantee they'd pass though. Just that I could assist with their leaning/study skills.
Certainly wouldn't be aiming to do anything until I've finished my course next year anyway. Just thinking of ways to scrape a living together whilst I've a small child in the house five days a week. smile

Punkatheart Sun 07-Jul-13 13:45:11

I think it's possible. I helped a number of students with proofreading of their dissertations last year - they had left it to the very last minute. You could talk to the college while you are there and even get their support?

As for the students not passing - you are not liable for their pass or failure. You are offering support not telling them that they will pass. But if you want to do a disclaimer stating that - it would help.

Thanks Punk - yes I'll speak to the college when I go back in Sept. I won't have time to do it this academic year as I'll have four assignments, four exams and a dissertation to deal with.

Proofreading is also something on my agenda. Basically anything of that nature that is do-able from or near home.

morethanpotatoprints Sun 07-Jul-13 15:13:10

I think it is a good idea when you have finished the course.
You need to know how viable it is as a business though.
What will you need in terms of insurance, would somebody pay for a service that wasn't able to guarantee a pass.
for example, if you pay a tutor to take your dc through 11+ you would pretty much want to ensure the tutor would get them through.
Good luck, it sounds like a good idea.
Oh, if you can find a usp that the uni don't offer for free that will increase your earning potential.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now