Interim work - pros and cons please

(8 Posts)

Hi I've posted this in chat too but this looks like a better place. I am currently looking for a new job at around £40k p.a. For a similar interim role the going rate is £250-300 per day. Even after tax pension contributions etc that should be at least as good .
I'm hoping -
- to avoid the office politics
- take more holiday as won't be tied to 25 days
- get work that may not get as won't perm
- work less than 5 days per week

Not sure about
- childcare - dc are 3 and 6 so its mostly before and after school and holidays
- ill children / hospital apps etc

DP's job is stable and well paid and he's not a risk taker. But now the dc are a bit older and I've had paid maternity etc it seems like a good time to do this.

Can you not speak to your family about helping with childcare arrangements?

No local family unfortunately. School and nursery have childcare from 8-5.30 except Friday but that it us unlikely to be enough if I'm working 1 hours drive away.

FriendlyLadybird Sun 07-Jul-13 21:59:31

I've done some interim work. If you're a good negotiator you can manage not to work full-time and to take more holiday (but remember that people tend to want interim managers when they need them, if you see what I mean. Saying you can't start until September, for example, or taking a month's holiday in the middle of a contract isn't usually very helpful to them). However, in my experience, office politics are everywhere. Indeed, as an interim, I have found myself to be a bit of a political football at times.

Ill children/hospital apps are fine. Re. the childcare -- could you negotiate working reduced hours four or five days a week?

Elansofar Sun 07-Jul-13 23:30:15

Hi I am a professional interim. Pros are that the rate can be good, hours can be flexible, work can be challenging and varied, and it is rewarding to realise when you become a sought after individual. Cons are that you have to work under pressure, quite often you have to hit the ground running as your post is normally filling a role that has become problematic as someone has gone sick, walked out or both. You have to duck and dive office or departmental politics and put the client first, whilst managing your pi cover and sometimes not giving the answers they want. Paperwork can be a pain, yours and your clients. It can be hard to take holidays unless you do this between clients. Unfortunately if you're good at what you do, you will find it hard to be between clients as they will find you and start offering bigger rates for an immediate start...If you're going self employed this may reduce your rating for credit cards and mortgages in the short term (compared to having a salaried steady job). Ref the children, be prepared to fork out for nanny or mothers help etc unless you have wonderful local grandparents. Every job location is different and traffic and public transport in the uk can be horrendous as we all know Good luck x

Thanks Ladybird and Elan.
Applied for my first interim job today but the agency said it was unlikely the company would consider me as 2 weeks is too long to wait!
Do you use an umbrella company or do you have your own limited company?
I'm thinking of getting nursery and after school care for Tuesday to Thursday which I canteen increase to 5 days when I need it.

Elansofar Mon 08-Jul-13 22:12:08

I worked under an umbrella until I had the confidence to set up my limited co. I had a baby whilst with the umbrella and really I should have gone limited as soon as the maternity bit ended, it would have worked out better perhaps financially. It was other selfemployed professionals i was working with who told me to take the plunge. It has been a steep learning curve but also empowering. I think whilst you're starting out an umbrella would be best so you can see it the type of work and the routine suits you and your family? See how it goes..

Thanks Elan. Next problem is what to do about Catch22 of childcare.
Spoke to a nanny agency yesterday who said before and after school care would normally be a newly qualified person or working in a nursery. So either available now (but I don't have a job yet) or in 4-6 weeks (but could not wait that long to start contract work.
Aargh !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now