What's the best format for mass email

(3 Posts)

I'm sending out an email to a large list of potential clients (I don't know any of them).

Do you think it's worth designing it so it looks more professional, or do you think just a straightforward text email with links to a website would be more likely to get a response.

It's a toss up between looking too 'salesy' and catching their attention.

cakeaddict Mon 01-Jul-13 20:39:04

Hmmm, I'm not sure - I think it could go either way. A designed email could look professional, but it could also look as though it is a mass email sent to lots of people and reduce the chances of people taking much notice of it.

Depending on what your field is, I think I'd be more inclined to take the personal approach and have it linking to a professional looking website.

Also beware things that might identify your message as spam and filter it into junk folders - e.g. sending 1 email to a mass list of people, having certain words in the subject line etc.

DolomitesDonkey Tue 02-Jul-13 05:43:43

Following on from what cakeaddict said, where did you get this list of emails? It is actually illegal to send a mail to a B2C client without their explicit permission!

You should probably look at www.mailchimp.com or www.aweber.com for easy-to-use, adaptable mail programmes which with a bit of savvy from you will avoid you hitting the spam folders.

You need it to be responsible and, as most people read mails on hand-held devices you're better off sticking to a 1-column layout.

People love graphics & a "pretty layout" - but you tell that to Carrie Wilkerson who sends her stuff out in plain text and sells a bomb! Horses for courses!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now