NI contributions whilst on MA

(7 Posts)
lenesi Mon 01-Jul-13 12:44:06

Hi all,

I've just come off the phone from Job Centre Plus but the woman made so little sense and I've come away none the wiser so I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether NI contributions should still be being taken (monthly direct debit) during the time I am receiving Maternity Allowance and no other income? I was led to believe they automatically stopped while on MA but am not really sure how it works.

Thanks for any advice,
Helen

Talkinpeace Mon 01-Jul-13 21:56:07

MA is less than the weekly NI limit

lenesi Tue 02-Jul-13 08:39:00

So does that mean I should be paying it or not? Really just need a yes or no answer from someone.

Thanks!

pmgkt Tue 02-Jul-13 08:43:16

They should automatically stop the direct debit claim while you are on mat leave. You do not pay while on leave if you have no other income.

lenesi Tue 02-Jul-13 20:30:08

Thank you pmgkt. Wonder why they haven't then, and why when I asked on the phone she didn't say so!

badguider Wed 03-Jul-13 22:39:59

I didn't know they stopped automatically.... do they re-start automatically too then?

I just assumed you'd have to speak to the NI people you set the DD up with (I get a statement from them every so often I think...?) NI is through HM Revenue and Customs while MA is through jobcentre plus - I wouldn't expect/trust them to communicate with each other.

I'm only taking 3mo of absolutely no income/work so was just planning to keep paying my NI as it's only £10-£13 a month and I thought the pain of trying to stop and re-start wouldn't be worth it!

I would call HM Revenue and Customs if I were you (my experience so far with jobcentre plus has been less than convincing smile)

badguider Wed 03-Jul-13 22:41:55

If it helps the info on my NI DD letter is:

National Insurance Contributions Office, Self Employment Serices, Newcastle. Phone 084591 54655 (Mon to Fri 8am to 5pm)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now