Proofreader/copy-editor references

(3 Posts)
sanam2010 Tue 02-Jul-13 20:10:57

I think references could be important. You could also have a list of previous clients. I would provide email addresses upon request and then they can take it from there.

WilsonFrickett Tue 02-Jul-13 19:52:46

I've never been asked for references, just work samples and clips. If I was, I would provide an email address so the prospect could email the referee directly. Obviously I'd agree this with the referee in advance.

Freelance tends to be more fast paced - someone needs someone, they need them now, they tend not to be fussed taking up references. They'll give you a go based on your work and experience and if it works out, they'll use you again, if not they won't.

Whatever you decide, there's no need to put anything about 'references on request' to your cv, it's just taking up space you could be using to sell yourself.

TwoTearsInABucket Fri 28-Jun-13 11:14:56

Hi! I am writing my freelance CV for proofreading/copy-editing work (academic and educational publishing background). I need to find clients who I don't actually know from full-time employment!

I have been googling references for freelance editors and I am still unclear about it. I will do what seems to be the usual "references available on request" in that section, but then if there are any requests would I provide my referee's contact details or a written reference from them? I am in the process of asking for references and I am not sure what to ask for.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now