What do you think? DH laughed :(

(50 Posts)
KidsCooking Thu 27-Jun-13 09:56:13

I'm currently on mat leave with dc2. I'm a teacher and really don want to go back at all full time. It's not just 'leaving the kids', it's more c

nkf Sat 13-Jul-13 22:24:11

Read on a bit and found out it's coming along. Good luck.

nkf Sat 13-Jul-13 22:21:50

I think it's probably doable but I doubt it will make much money. It's a bit of a mummy job, if you know what I mean. Have you looked at those music type franches? Or Tumble Tots? I think they might be a bit more of a goer.

ojbsmum Sat 13-Jul-13 22:18:16

Just seen this thread Kids.
How are your plans going?

I'm also a teacher trying to avoid returning to work post-children.
I took the 'easy' route and now tutor at weekends and joined Usborne and sell books at toddler groups, fairs etc. Much less stressful than your plans. I really hope it's all working out...

KidsCooking Tue 02-Jul-13 11:52:37

Heath I was thinking about a Saturday morning class too. My DH has his own classes at the same time (totally different business) so i'd have to rope in DM to babysit.

Thanks for the idea to ask local businesses to advertise. Hadn't thought of that! hmm.

V excited. If this works and actually has full classes I coul easily cut my hours to 3 days. Next hurdle would be getting school to agree and I have to give up my promotion opportunity (a position I've been working towards for past 3 years). But a little bird tells me it's already been 'decided' that it's going to an inexperienced, younger, MALE colleague which is what prompted this business plan in the first place.

I'm rambling.

<off to design advertising>.

HeathRobinson Tue 02-Jul-13 11:03:37

Advertise in local shops, do a leaflet drop, leave some leaflets at nurseries/schools/colleges depending on which age group you're targetting.

Could you do a weekend 'they cook, you shop' course (1-2 hours?), aimed at young teens, pre-teens where the parent doesn't have to stop, can go shopping, get a haircut, whatever?

NotDead Tue 02-Jul-13 10:51:28

good idea. funding widely available for healthy eating inpoorer areas. Also ask local indie butchers or small chains or fish shops or delis or known foodie streets to sponsor/promote.

KidsCooking Tue 02-Jul-13 10:47:03

Thanks, Fluffy. Another great idea.

I've been very proactive! I think I've found a venue. Right in the centre of the 'town' with great parking and next to bus station and rail station (so fab for directions etc). It has a full catering kitchen and room attached. And all for a fab price (less than £10 an hour!).

Next problem is advertising. I'm quite capable of getting a web site up and running and fb page etc. I was hoping to do school fetes etc but I've been looking at local ones all morning and they seem to all be over already. Any other ideas? I haven't got a lot of time. Even though the venue is cheap, I don't want to sign up and be out of pocket.
Can you do things like 'cupcake decorating' at car boots? Or is that not possible confused. Is it worth getting some posters printed to drop off at schools? Or a waste of money as they are unlikely to be put up.

You've all been so helpful and I really appreciate it. If I hadn't started this thread and given the support I'd still be just thinking about it flowers.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 29-Jun-13 15:22:41

How about a class for teens about to go to uni? Expand it to teach frugal shopping eg buy 3kg of pasta or 1200 size tea bags rather than small packs?

It's cheaper than them running out of cash and tapping mum and dad.

KidsCooking Sat 29-Jun-13 11:52:13

Thanks, Damn.

I've looked at the certificates and I'm a little unsure which one I'd need confused level 1 or 2? I'll probably have to ring up.
Some more good ideas! Thanks. I was thinking I would need to maybe do some fetes etc to do some advertising that way. I wish I had a few more weeks before the holidays kick in. It's going to be really difficult to do what I want to with only a couple of weeks. I was thinking of asking my DDs nursery if I could do a practise type session with the preschoolers (+ the girls would love holding the baby for an hour or so).

I think one major problem I've got is knowing what to charge. if its school age kids then I wouldn't need the parents to stay (and I'm fine with that being a teacher of 30+ kids). I don't want to over charge and get no one sign up (which I'm worried about anyway if I hire out a hall) or not charge enough and not make enough iyswim.

Primary schools don't have ovens and cookers do they? I mean they might have a school kitchen-but wouldn't there be other rules about using it for this type of thing? I'm secondary and obviously we have food tech rooms which would be ideal.

I was so excited (still am) but now I'm getting cold feet about actually getting on with it and organising what I need to do. I think I'm most worried about noone signing up!

Damnautocorrect Fri 28-Jun-13 18:42:38

Give your local authority a call on the regulations for your own home, there's less regulations than you might think, (one of the splats works from home, not sure on the other). You'll need to do at least your basic health and hygiene course (can do it online).
I'd also suggest primary school after school classes, you might not make money on them but a good way of getting your name out there. Especially if you do parties (have a look at cinnamon squares parties)

Damnautocorrect Fri 28-Jun-13 18:36:55

I second the adult suggestion, I used to work with alot of 18-24's. they couldn't boil an egg because they never had cooking lessons. So maybe trying to catch those and 'off to Uni students'

KidsCooking Thu 27-Jun-13 20:18:27

Just wanted to say 'thanks again' for all the help you've given on here. Its really helped me make up my mind to give this ago. I'm going to be busy over the next few days coming up with a mad, quick plan if I want this to begin over the school holidays!
Now I just need a name...

I need to research this properly. Doe anyone know if I'd need a special qualification/certificate etc? confused. Is a CRB interchangeable? So, I obviously have a CRB from the school, but the area is cynically under a different authority.

cakebar Thu 27-Jun-13 19:27:28

A school holiday 'camp' type options sounds fab, I know lots of people looking for a few weeks of different things in the summer holidays.

Blatherskite Thu 27-Jun-13 16:09:57

How central KidsCooking? You might not be that far from me after all!

KidsCooking Thu 27-Jun-13 16:07:34

So many replies!
dreaming not sure about adults. I teach secondary now so I suppose half way between. I'm a good cook/baker but not sure I'm an amazing cook. I kind of think you'd have to be really special to teach adults.
I do like the seasonal thing though. If I'm doing school holidays, that would be quite easy to pitch.

pete thank you! I will do.

bibble I hear you! No way could I do it with the kids in tow. I like the idea of starting with the school holidays. DH is a part time teacher too, so would have half the week off. It'd do him good to see what it's like to have both of them together for a few hours too. I'm more central smile but thanks for 👍.

So glad I posted.

Could you teach adults instead of kids? You could charge more, and would have less worries re numbers/safety.

Maybe something like Seasonal Cooking Classes, where every month you cook different dishes based on what's in season. That would appeal to both foodie types and austerity types, as seasonal foods are usually cheaper, but sometimes it's things people don't really know what to do with.

It's ELR. Maybe send her a PM?

OP there is an Mumsnetter who does this. Let me find her name and I'll come back to you.

Blatherskite Thu 27-Jun-13 15:38:29

Definitely not run by volunteers and run in a rather drabby scout hut. I don't think they were making much to be honest. On average, I'd say they got 6-8 kids at the session I went to but the nursery sessions were a lot more popular thanks to the 'captive audience' smile

You'd need a kitchen for drinking water supplies at least.

Bibblebobbleparsnip Thu 27-Jun-13 15:32:04

Just wanted to say that this sounds brilliant! Are you north yourself? If you're near me I'd love to come trial it!! wink
It sounds like it's completely do-able as a business- but lots of hard work, especially with little ones not yet in school. I work from home 1.5 days a week with a 3 yr old & 1yr old at not yet at school (6 yr old is in yr1) and I have had to put 3yr old in nursery and am thinking that I may need to do the same with the baby as I'm not able to concentrate properly with her crawling around the office. It's expensive & I don't like the thought of the baby in nursery yet, but feel it's fast becoming a necessity. hmm
Is there someone who could mind your little ones for you while you have a session? A family member perhaps, who wouldn't expect to be paid/would be cheap? Otherwise you'll eat up all your profits child care!

DonutForMyself Thu 27-Jun-13 15:20:37

Apparently Mini Pinnys is quite new, only a FB page up at the moment but website due to go online soon www.minipinnys.co.uk

HTH

KidsCooking Thu 27-Jun-13 15:11:02

Thanks again blather.
I'm not sure they'd be any profit at £4 a class though if you had to hire a hall and get ingredients. Do you think your class was run by volunteers? Or maybe the hall hire was free? Was there about 8-10 kids?

Now wondering if I could possibly use my DH's business facilities. Don't think there is a kitchen though...and it's a bit out the way but very easy to walk from the high street and has parking! He doesn't really use it during the times I would run the classes.

Only thing is, it's not quite in the thick of the affluent area I was hoping to target (but really not too far). Certainly something to think about.

Blatherskite Thu 27-Jun-13 15:00:53

Rubber-iner-er not runner.

Blatherskite Thu 27-Jun-13 14:59:32

And FWIW, I stayed with DD for the lessons and didn't mind a bit. Yes, I can cook with her at home but I thought that the ingredients, recipe planning and social aspect was worth the cost. Plus, there was no tidying up obviously. Our class did savoury and sweet recipes alternately and we've tried things I would never have attempted at home both from an ingredient perspective and from the method side too. It turns out DD is a fantastic runner-iner-er, something I would have probably thought beyond her before we started attending.

We have a crafty cooks near us and futurefoodies too. It seems there is room for more than one.

Blatherskite Thu 27-Jun-13 14:46:08

It was £4 for the cooking, a craft or some colouring afterwards and drinks and biscuits.

I'm not sure how much they charged the ore schools but I think they mostly went for the private ones which had a bit more money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now